Laing (Taro Leaves in Coconut Milk).
You can cook Laing (Taro Leaves in Coconut Milk) using 12 simple ingredients and 6 easy steps. Here is how you cook yummy food.
Ingredients of Laing (Taro Leaves in Coconut Milk)
- It’s 2 ounces of Dried Taro/Gabi Leaves.
- Prepare 4 cups of coconut milk.
- It’s 1 cup of coconut cream.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic minced.
- It’s 1 of onion diced.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of bagoong/shrimp paste.
- It’s 1/2 of ke pork cut thinly or cubes.
- It’s 1/2 cup of hibe/dried shrimp.
- You need 1 of thumb-size ginger, peeled and minced.
- You need 3 of red chilis chopped (add more if you want).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- You need of Cooking oil.
Laing (Taro Leaves in Coconut Milk) step by step
- Heat pan and add oil. Saute garlic, onions and ginger until garlic is light golden brown and onions are translucent. Set aside..
- Using the same pan, season pork with a little bit of salt and pepper and cook for about 30 minutes or until brown and tender. Note: we will still add bagoong so do not add too much salt. Add back sauted garlic, onions and ginger, chilli, bagoong/shrimp paste and dried shrimp. Cook,for about 2-3 minutes..
- Add coconut milk bring to a boil on medium heat. Make sure to stir frequently to avoid it from burning..
- Add dried taro/gabi leaves and cook for 15-20 minutes without stirring to avoid getting itchy. Push down leaves to absorb coconut milk but do not stir until leaves have softened and turned a darker colour..
- Turn heat to low and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes..
- Add coconut cream and let it simmer for an additional 10 minutes until dish is almost dry and most of the liquid has evaporated and begins to render fat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and serve with a side of steamed rice..