Mofongo and shrimp in red garlic sauce. In this form mashed plantains are typically a side, but when stuffed or topped with braised meats or seafood it becomes mofongo relleno, a main entree. In my version, I create a mofongo relleno de camarones which is Mofongo topped with shrimp and roasted red pepper sauce. Mofongo Ingredients Mofongo is a simple and scrumptious side dish that's popular on the island of Puerto Rico and throughout the Caribbean.
Plantain Mofongo with Shrimp Sauce- Fried mashed plantains infused with garlic, bacon, and chicharrones (fried pork skin) stuffed with a succulent tomato, garlic, parsley, shrimp sauce. This is a mashed plantain taken to another level. The shrimp sauce is just like cake icing. You can have Mofongo and shrimp in red garlic sauce using 11 easy ingredients and 9 simple steps. Learn how to cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Mofongo and shrimp in red garlic sauce
- You need 6 of green plantain.
- It’s 3 lb of of shrimp.
- You need 6 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 of sofrito.
- You need 1 of adobo and garlic powder.
- You need 2 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 bag of of hard crackling.
- Prepare 1 of olive oil, extra virgin.
- It’s 3 of packs of sazon con achote.
- You need 1 of vegetable oil for frying.
Real comfort food at It's best! Add the red pepper, garlic, tomatoes and cumin. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the tomato mixture. Add the cilantro and mix well.
Mofongo and shrimp in red garlic sauce instructions
- Cut tips from bananas slit down on 3 sides easier to peel. Cut into 1/2 inch wheels.
- Put oil to heat 350-400 degrees.put enough oil to cover plantains..
- When oil gets hot put plantains in dont over crowd. When golden brown n semi tender remove until all are fried..
- In big bowl throw all fried plantains begin mashing. crush the 2 garlic cloves add to plantains add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add crackling n keep mashing until all plantains are mashed n ingredients are combine.garlic n olive oil is spread. better to mix with hands.
- Get a small bowl put some plantains in and pack down with spatula take out. should have shape of bowl put round side up..
- For shrimps in garlic red sauce.
- Boil 3 cups of water i eyeball it. Throw in bay leaf some adobo and garlic powder smash garlic 1/2 onion choped. 1 tablespoon sofrito to taste . Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in cold water to thicken add to pot..
- When thicken add shrimp. dont over cook. Pour over mofongo. You can stuff it or eat it plain or with the pork crackling recipe i have here also. Enjoy :).
This creole shrimp mofongo combines a few of my favorite recipes – my Easy Creole Sauce, Cajun Shrimp, and Easy Mofongo recipes – based off travels I've taken through the Caribbean. This hearty, delicious dinner is an indulgent treat – bursting with fresh flavors, spicy and salty shrimp, mushy and savory mofongo, and tons of tomato and pepper sauce. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making and eating it, lol. In this tasty mofongo with shrimp recipe, I personally cut back on the garlic use while mashing the fried plantains because of the shrimp sauce already including a decent amount. Speaking of shrimp sauce, you will LOVE this tomato-based sauce.