Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup). Sinigang soup is a type of Filipino soup that is sour and savory. Sinigang (pronounced 'see-Nee-Gangh') is typically made with either pork (usually ribs), beef, chicken, shrimp, or fish. Na Hipon, which means shrimp, is just one version of the Filipino soup.
Sinigang is one of the most popular and favorite Filipino dishes among locals. It is right there with Adobo although maybe not (yet) quite as popular internationally. Sinigang na Hipon is a type of Filipino sour soup, wherein shrimp is used as the main ingredient. You can have Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup) using 12 simple ingredients and 5 easy steps. This is guide how cook that.
Ingredients of Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup)
- It’s 1 lb of shrimp with heads (cleaned, deveined and trimmed).
- Prepare 1 of large onion quartered.
- You need 2 of medium sized tomatoes quartered.
- Prepare 1 of ginger sliced.
- Prepare 100 g of water spinach (cut in 3 inches length).
- Prepare 50 g of green okra (cut in half diagonally).
- Prepare 50 g of string beans (cut in 2-3 inches length).
- It’s 1-2 pieces of green long chili/pepper.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of fish sauce.
- You need 1 pack of sinigang mix or tamarind soup base mix.
- You need 6-8 cups of water.
- Prepare of Optional: Radish sliced (labanos), eggplant quartered.
This dish also includes a variety of vegetables such as daikon radish, snake beans, okra, and eggplant. This dish is best served during cold weather. It is best enjoyed hot with a cup of white rice. Sinigang is a popular Filipino dish.
Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup) instructions
- Pour water in a deep pot and bring to a boil..
- Throw in onions, tomatoes, and ginger with the sinigang mix/tamarind soup base powder and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add shrimp and optional eggplant and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add string beans, green okra, green long pepper, fish sauce, and optional radish and cook for 3 more minutes..
- Add water spinach right before turning off the heat. Let it stand with the pot cover on for about 3 minutes to cook. Serve hot with white rice and enjoy!.
It is a sour soup that uses tamarind as it's base flavor, it can be cooked with fish, meat, shrimp, and vegetables. This soup uses shrimp as the main ingredient. Instead of using real tamarind use packets of tamarind seasoning mix. Get started at step number one below. Shrimp in Sour Soup (Sinigang na Hipon) Recipe by Manila Spoon.