Hina Matsuri Sushi Hina Dolls and Temari Sushi. Of course, there are some popular superstitions, probably the most interesting is that the family must not forget to disassemble the set. It was thought that the dolls would act as good luck charms. Made using all natural ingredients, with some plum vinegar, nori seaweed, and seasoned sushi rice, these sushi rolls are a feast for the eyes.
Hinamatsuri (雛祭り/ひなまつり/ヒナマツリ , Hina-matsuri), also called Doll's Day or Girls' Day, is a special day in Japan. Beautifully hand-pressed balls of sushi goodness, temari sushi is the perfect party food. Sometimes also called temarizushi, it's made from sushi rice that's perfectly rounded by hand and made with decorative toppings. You can cook Hina Matsuri Sushi Hina Dolls and Temari Sushi using 32 easy ingredients and 21 simple steps. This is guide how cook that.
Ingredients of Hina Matsuri Sushi Hina Dolls and Temari Sushi
- You need of Empress and Emperor (4 pieces):.
- It’s 280 grams of Sushi rice.
- Prepare 4 of Boiled quail eggs.
- It’s 2 of sheets Egg crepe (about 14 cm diameter).
- It’s 1 dash of Egg crepe (for the kimono decorations).
- It’s 1 of to 2 Imitation crab sticks.
- It’s 2 slice of Ham.
- Prepare 1 of sheet Nori seaweed.
- It’s 2 of Boiled mitsuba.
- You need of Pink, yellow, and green rolled sushi (6 pieces):.
- It’s 120 grams of Sushi rice.
- You need 1 of Sakura Denbu (mashed and seasoned pink fish).
- You need 2 of sheets Egg crepe (10 cm diameter).
- You need 2 of Pickled mustard leaves.
- Prepare of Additions:.
- It’s 4 of 1 cm cuts of imitation crab sticks.
- Prepare 1 of Chopped gari (sushi ginger).
- You need 1 of Chopped mitsuba.
- It’s 2 of Avocado (1 cm chunks).
- You need of Decorations:.
- Prepare 1 of Imitation crab sticks (shredded into strings).
- It’s 1 of Egg crepe (cut into strings).
- You need 1 of Nori seaweed (cut into strings).
- Prepare 1 slice of Ham.
- It’s 1 dash of Chopped egg crepe.
- It’s 1 of Salmon roe.
- You need 2 of pieces ・Pickled chrysanthemum radish.
- You need of Sashimi temari sushi (6 pieces):.
- It’s 90 grams of Sushi rice.
- Prepare 2 slice of Tuna sashimi (thin).
- You need 2 slice of Squid sashimi.
- It’s 2 of Boiled sushi shrimp.
Temari sushi are gorgeous and always delicious! Hina dolls are typically a gift from a girl's grandparents for her first Hina Matsuri, or she may receive a set that has been passed down in her family. The dolls are beautifully detailed and represent the royal court. Starting weeks before the festival, families display the dolls on a tiered stand called a hinadan.
Hina Matsuri Sushi Hina Dolls and Temari Sushi step by step
- Emperor and empress: Cut the egg crepes and ham slices in half. Remove the red part of the crab sticks..
- Cut the nori seaweed. For the emperor, cut two 5 x 20 cm pieces for the kimono and four 1 x 8 cm pieces for the hair. For the empress, cut two 1.5 cm square pieces and two 1.5 x 10 cm pieces for the hair..
- <Emperor's face> Put the egg on a toothpick. Place one piece of the nori on the front and attach the other end to the back, then wrap the other piece around the head horizontally..
- <Empress' face> Put the egg on a toothpick. Attach the 1.5 cm square piece of nori to the top of her head, then top with the long piece..
- Divide the sushi rice into 4 equal pieces (about 70 g each), then shape them into barrels that are a bit smaller at the top. They should stand about 6 cm tall..
- Wrap 2 of the balls with egg crepes, slightly overlapping in the front. Cover with the nori piece for the kimono. Tie with the mitsuba..
- Use cutters to cut 6 shapes out of the egg crepe, then attach with a bit of wasabi or mayonnaise (amount separate from listed ingredients). Attach the emperor's head from Step 3..
- Wrap the remaining rice balls in egg crepes, then layer the ham slices on top. Tie with the mitsuba..
- Cut 8 shapes out with the red parts of the crab sticks from Step 1, then attach with wasabi or mayonnaise (separate from listed ingredients). Attach the empress' head from Step 4..
- Tricolor temari sushi: Divide the sushi rice into 6 pieces (20 g each)..
- <Pink version> Put 1 piece from Step 10 on top of some plastic wrap, then shape into a ball through the wrap. Make 2. Coat with the sakura denbu powder..
- <Yellow version> Put the crab sticks inside of the sushi rice and shape into balls. Make 2..
- Put the egg crepe on top of the plastic wrap, top with Step 12, and use the plastic wrap to shape into balls..
- <Green version> Put 1 cm of crab sticks inside of the sushi rice and shape into balls. Make 2..
- Put the pickled mustard leaves on top of the plastic wrap, top with Step 14, and shape into balls through the plastic wrap..
- Garnish the ball sushi with the strips of ingredients to make them look like they're tied together. Cut flowers out of the ham and garnish the sushi balls with the ham..
- Temari sushi with sashi slices: Mix together 30 g of the sushi rice with the chopped shiso and divide into 2 balls. Divide the remaining sushi rice into 4 pieces (15 g each)..
- <Squid> Put the squid on top of plastic wrap, then top with the shiso-mixed rice ball. Shape into a ball through the wrap. Garnish with salmon roe..
- <Tuna> Make a ball of sushi with the chopped gari inside. Place the tuna on top of plastic wrap and top with the sushi rice. Shape into a ball through the plastic wrap, then garnish with egg..
- <Shrimp> Roll the avocado chunks into the remaining rice balls. Place the shrimp on top of the plastic wrap, then top with the sushi rice, and shape into a ball through the plastic wrap..
- Arrange the sushi and the pickled chrysanthemum radish on plates and enjoy..
Hina Matsuri is a celebration dedicated to girls, in which their parents pray for the good health and Hina Dolls represent what the imperial family was like in ancient times. The dolls on the top tire of the The special meals for Hina Matsuri are Amazake (sweet drink), Chirashizushi (a style of sushi). The "hina dolls" (雛人形, hina ningyo) are only displayed when a family has a daughter. Usually a set is handed down from generation to generation or the grandparents or parents will buy one for a girl's first Hina Matsuri (初節句, hatsuzekku)! A complete set with traditional dolls can be extremely expensive!