Malaysian Rice and Chicken Congee. Congee or rice porridge is a common 'sick people' or baby food. It's tasty and easy to digest. When I was young, my go-to sick food was chicken porridge or KFC mashed potatoes.
There is a bit more chew to it with brown rice, and it takes a little bit longer. If you want to make quick congee, try this Instant Pot Congee Recipe. Chicken and Ginger Congee is easy to make Though endless versions of savory rice porridge (also known as congee) exist worldwide, I know this dish by its Cantonese name, jook. You can cook Malaysian Rice and Chicken Congee using 16 simple ingredients and 4 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve that.
Ingredients of Malaysian Rice and Chicken Congee
- It’s 1 cup of rice.
- It’s 5 cups of water.
- Prepare 3 cm of ginger, julienned.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, diced.
- It’s 200 grams of chicken breast.
- Prepare 1 of chicken stock cube.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of Condiments.
- You need of Chopped spring onions.
- Prepare of Pickled radish.
- Prepare of Crispy garlic.
- You need of Crispy shallots.
- Prepare of Salted eggs.
- It’s of Crispy Anchovies.
- Prepare of Salty Soya Sauce.
- You need Dash of sesame oil.
On Sundays my grandmother would make a big pot for the family, with chicken or pork, but sometimes beef, or even seafood. Great recipe for Malaysian Rice and Chicken Congee. Congee is a comforting dish full of nutrients, delicious and easy to make. It is basically rice that you cook with a lot of water and boiled till mushy then chicken stock and vegetables are added into the congee.
Malaysian Rice and Chicken Congee instructions
- Wash the rice few times and transfer into a pot. Add in water. Bring the pot to a boil then immediately turn down the heat. Allow the pot to simmer, covered, for until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid and looks soft and mushy. (I used my instant pot and cooked them on porridge setting.).
- While waiting for the rice to cook, bring to boil the chicken breast with 3 cups of water and one chicken stock. Once cooked, remove them and add the chicken stock into the rice pot. Continue cooking the rice. After a total cookjng time of one hour the rice will be very soft. Add in the ginger, salt and pepper. Let simmer for another ten minutes…
- When the chicken are cool enough shred them to strips. Now you can add the shredded chicken back into the congee or put it in your condiments bowl as in the photo….
- Prepare the rest of the condiments. Fry the shallots, garlic and anchovies till crispy. Boil the salted egg and chop the spring onions. Spoon the congee into individual bowls and garnish with your condiments of choice.. add in chopped bird eye chillies if desired. Enjoy.
This simple and tasty Chicken Rice Porridge (Chicken Congee) is so easy to prepare. It makes a delicious breakfast and is a bowl of comfort any time of the day. I am really excited to tell you today that I have been featured over at House of Annie as the October Top Commenter. Nate and Annie came up with this wonderful idea of showing. For ingredients, Rasa Malaysia recommends dried oyster and chicken breast fillet.