Beef Rice Bowl – Gyudon. Gyudon (牛丼) or Beef Bowl is a popular quick meal in Japan. It consists of a bowl of steamed rice topped with thinly sliced beef and tender onion, simmered in a sweet and savory dashi broth seasoned with soy sauce and mirin. Japanese Gyudon, thinly sliced fatty beef cooked in a slightly sweet mixture of mirin and soy sauce served over rice.
Gyudon (Beef and Rice Bowl) Is Japan's Most Foolproof Dish. All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy. You can cook Beef Rice Bowl – Gyudon using 13 simple ingredients and 6 simple steps. This is guide how achieve yummy food.
Ingredients of Beef Rice Bowl – Gyudon
- Prepare 1/2 pound of beef.
- Prepare 1 of white onion.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of oil.
- You need 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of sake.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of mirin.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of dashi stock.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- You need 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Prepare 1 of green onion.
- Prepare of pickled ginger.
With thinly sliced beef and sweet onions over a bowl of steaming rice, this Gyudon (牛丼), or "beef bowl" is a mouthwatering Japanese classic that comes together in minutes. Boil Dashi in a pot and add sliced onion. Gyūdon (牛丼), literally "beef bowl", is a Japanese dish consisting of a bowl of rice topped with beef and onion simmered in a mildly sweet sauce flavored with dashi (fish and seaweed stock). This simple bowl of simmered beef and onions takes just minutes to make, particularly if you have your own homemade teriyaki sauce.
Beef Rice Bowl – Gyudon step by step
- Cut the onions and beef into thin slices..
- Heat the oil in wide skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes..
- Add the beef cook until browned..
- Add the sugar, sake, mirin, dashi and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer until most of the liquid is gone..
- Scramble the eggs in a small bowl. Add the egg to the pan. Cook for a few minutes until the egg is just cooked..
- Place the beef and egg on top of steamed rice and pour desired amount of sauce. Top with pickled red ginger and green onion..
Gyudon is the ubiquitous Japanese beef rice bowl, found all over Japan (and the rest of world). At places like Yoshinoya you can buy a bowl of gyudon in Japan for as little as two dollars, but made at home this recipe is cheap to make and nearly foolproof. Gyudon (or beef bowl) is like a comfort food for the Japanese. It can be prepared quickly and it has nutritious ingredients like beef, onion, rice, and sometimes egg. In Japan, gyudon is sometimes served with a raw egg yolk or onsen tamago (poached egg) in the center of the meat and onion mixture.