‘Oyako’ Udon. Oyakodon (親子丼), literally "parent-and-child donburi", is a donburi, or Japanese rice bowl dish, in which chicken, egg, sliced scallion (or sometimes regular onions). Oyakodon is cooked in one pan where onions, chicken, and egg are simmered in an umami-rich dashi-based sauce. It is then poured over a bowl of fluffy steamed rice.
Oyako means mother and child, hence the main ingredients, chicken and eggs. I added about a tablespoon more soy sauce. Add Dashi, sugar, Sake, soy sauce and Mirin in a pan. This Tasty ‘Oyako’ Udon using 13 simple ingredients and 6 simple steps. Learn how to cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of ‘Oyako’ Udon
- Prepare 2 of servings Udon Noodles *Frozen type recommended.
- Prepare 150-200 g of Chicken Thigh Fillet *thinly sliced.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Vegetable Oil OR Sesame Oil.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of Potato Starch *mixed with 2-3 tablespoons Water.
- You need 2 of Eggs *lightly whisked.
- Prepare 2 of Spring Onion *sliced, save some finely chopped green parts for topping.
- You need of <Soup>.
- It’s 2 cups of Dashi Stock (2 cups Water & 1 teaspoon Dashi Powder).
- You need 2 tablespoons of Sake (Rice Wine).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of grated Ginger.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Salt.
- You need 2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce.
- Prepare 1 tablespoons of Mirin.
Oyako-don is a quick and easy dish that is low cost and filling. Perfect for the working mum with Oyako-don (or Oyako-donburi) is quite popular but there are other popular donburi dishes such as. Our oyakodon recipe provides step-by-step instructions on Oyakodon is a one-bowl meal consisting of a bed of rice topped with chicken and egg (hence the name 'oyako', meaning 'parent and child'. I cooked Oyako-don(Chicken and egg bowl ) for dinner and ate before going for my night duty.
‘Oyako’ Udon instructions
- Combine all the soup ingredients in a bowl..
- Prepare Udon Noodles. I recommend Frozen Udon Noodles as they have the best texture. Frozen Noodles are already cooked, so just warm them in boiling water..
- Heat Oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and cook thinly sliced Chicken. Add diagonally sliced Spring Onions. *Note: Save finely chopped green parts for topping..
- Add the soup and bring to the boil. Taste the soup, and add extra Salt, Soy Sauce OR Mirin as required..
- Add Potato Starch mixture, stirring well, and cook until the sauce thickens. Add the lightly whisked Egg slowly in a circular motion into the boiling soup, gently stirring. When the Egg is cooked, remove from heat..
- Place drained hot Udon Noodles in a serving bowl, cover with the mixture, sprinkle with the saved finely chopped Spring Onion, and enjoy..
It was mainly an Oyako-bento, an oyakodon in the form of a bento (You can see how to make my Toriko. Never mind the chicken or the egg. How about the chicken and the egg? "Oyako" means "parent and child" in Japanese, and so this dish is open to many interpretations. Now, anyone can taste the legendary oyako-don, and the heart of the place hasn't changed. I cover and compose songs for fun.