Shrimp, sausage, and chicken GUMBO. Pour browned flour into a bowl and return pot to heat. Chicken Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo – rich, flavorful gumbo bursting with authentic flavors and loaded with chicken, shrimp, crab legs and sausage. Everything you want in comfort food is right here.
Reduce heat to a simmer, add uncooked chicken and cover. Nothing beats a great cup of gumbo, New Orleans style. This Sausage, Chicken, and Shrimp Gumbo is a traditional version of the famous Southern dish. You can cook Shrimp, sausage, and chicken GUMBO using 19 simple ingredients and 13 simple steps. Learn how to cook it.
Ingredients of Shrimp, sausage, and chicken GUMBO
- It’s 3 large of boneless skinless chicken breast halves.
- You need 1 lb of smoked sausage.
- Prepare 1 lb of med shrimp deveined and peeled (doesnt go in until the end).
- You need 5 tbsp of butter or margarine.
- You need 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 large of onion, chopped.
- It’s 6 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper, seeded and chopped.
- You need 3 of stalks chopped celery.
- You need 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1/4 bunch of flat leafed parsley, coarsely chopped.
- You need 5 cup of hot water.
- You need 5 of beef bouillon cubes.
- It’s 1 can of stewed tomatoes w/juice.
- Prepare 2 cup of frozen sliced okra.
- You need 3 of green onions, white part as well.
- It’s 1 dash of of cayenne pepper.
Although gumbo comes in all shapes and forms, there are usually a few common factors that identify a gumbo as a gumbo. Chicken, Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo ~ with the Holy Trinity of Lousiana cooking (celery, onion and bell pepper), roast chicken, andouille sausage and shrimp are slowly simmered in chicken broth flavored by a rich, dark roux made the Cajun way! Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo has a deep, smooth and savory flavor with a subtly spicy finish. One bowl is a complete and filling meal.
Shrimp, sausage, and chicken GUMBO step by step
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large (heavy bottomed) pot, over medium-high heat..
- Cook chicken until browned on both sides, remove..
- Cook sausage until browned on both sides, remove..
- *Roux- Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of margarine and cook over medium-heat. Stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes..
- Return the pot to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine. Add onion, garlic, green pepper and celery. Cook for 10 minutes..
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley..
- Cook while stirring frequently for about 10 minutes..
- Add 5 cups of hot water and beef bouillon cubes. Whisk constantly. *for thicker gumbo, 4 cups of hot water.
- Add chicken and sausage, bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally..
- Add tomatoes (w/juice) and okra. Stir, then cover and simmer for 1 hour..
- Just before serving add green onions, and shrimp. Let stand 5 minutes..
- Enjoy!!! With rice or crackers, however you prefer. Or just straight up..
Continue making the gumbo by adding the okra, spices, and half of a lemon. Sausage and shrimp gumbo is a nice twist on the classic Cajun stew traditionally served over rice and is perfect for cold evening meals. Gumbo is a stay-inside-and-cook-all-day kind of dish that warms you inside and out. While Louisianans have firm ideas about what goes into a proper gumbo, there are infinite variations—chicken and okra; turkey and sausage; duck, oyster, and sausage—and countless versions, including ones with filé as a thickener and others with okra. Gumbo is a classic Cajun staple and this version combines chicken, andouille sausage, shrimp, and crab to create the recipe you'll use from now on.