Ultimate Seafood Gumbo. Things used: ZATARAIN'S Pure Ground Gumbo File' Tony Chachere's CREOLE Seasoning Old Bay Seasoning Butter All-purpose. It does take a long time, but it produces the richest flavor possible! They all declared that it's the best gumbo they have ever had!
They both use bacon fat/grease for their roux which adds a smoky undertone and imparts lots of flavor. Seafood gumbo is one of those dishes that tastes better over time once all of the ingredients have a chance to In our seafood gumbo recipe, we combine flour and oil until it's smooth and deep in color. This delightful Seafood Gumbo is full of shrimp and crab and it has a nice spicy kick. This Tasty Ultimate Seafood Gumbo using 23 easy ingredients and 6 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Ultimate Seafood Gumbo
- Prepare 1 of ham hock.
- It’s 2 quart of water.
- It’s 1/4 cup of butter.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen okra, chopped.
- It’s 2 of bell peppers, chopped.
- Prepare 2 large of onions, chopped.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of parsley flakes.
- You need 2 stalks of celery, chopped.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic, smashed, left whole.
- Prepare 1 big can of whole tomatoes.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt, to taste.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of pepper, to taste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper, to taste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground mace.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground cloves.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground allspice.
- Prepare 1 tsp of gumbo file.
- It’s 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 2 lb of peeled, raw shrimp.
- Prepare 1 lb of crab meat.
- You need 13 1/2 oz of andouille sausage.
- It’s 2 cup of cooked rice.
Making a big pot of gumbo is a little labor intensive, but it lasts for days and only gets better with time. So I decided that Labor Day would be a great day to make some seafood gumbo. Seafood Gumbo, with shrimp, crab, chicken Andouille sausage, and okra is an authentic spicy Cajun meal served over rice or grits. This recipe is not super easy as it takes time to cook to properly.
Ultimate Seafood Gumbo instructions
- Place the ham hock and water in a stock pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove the ham hock to cool, reserving the liquid..
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat..
- Cook the okra until the gooey strings no longer appear as you stir. Add the bell pepper, onion, parsley, celery, and garlic and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the garlic and discard. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes..
- Remove the meat from the ham hock and add it to the stock pot. Place the veggies and bay leaves in the pot and cook on medium-low to medium for 3hrs..
- Add the seasonings and Worcestershire sauce and stir. Add the shrimp and sausage 30 minutes before serving. Add the crab meat 10 minutes before serving..
- Taste. Add hot sauce if desired. Serve with rice. If u like it thicker, add a little corn starch to the to a scoop of the stock, mix it, and return to the pot..
Every good gumbo starts with mixture of butter and flour called a roux. In this time, you should be stirring. I fell in love with seafood gumbo many, many years ago. With it's dark flavorful roux, fresh seafood, smoked sausage and fresh okra, this New Orleans Gumbo is the ultimate comfort food. Watch how to make this recipe.