Cajun Gumbo. A classic roux is the thickening agent for this traditional Cajun-style gumbo made rich and hearty with chicken, sausage, onions, bell peppers, celery All Reviews for Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Miss Lucy's Cajun Style Chicken Gumbo from Deep South Dish blog. A delicious and easy gumbo made with a roux, the Trinity of.
An authentic gumbo is prepared with a dark Re-aux, as are most all Cajun dishes. This post was featured on Today.com – Louisiana Cajun gumbo The real deal. That's what folks are saying about this Cajun chicken and sausage gumbo. You can have Cajun Gumbo using 26 easy ingredients and 14 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to cook this tasty food.
Ingredients of Cajun Gumbo
- Prepare 1 lb. of medium raw shrimp (peeled, tail off).
- You need 2 cups of water.
- Prepare Dash of Old Bay seasoning.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion (finely chopped).
- You need 1 of green (and/or red) bell pepper (coarsely chopped).
- Prepare 1 of jalapeno pepper (sliced with seeds).
- You need 3 stalks of celery (sliced, leaves for stock).
- You need Dash of salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme.
- It’s 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- It’s 6 of chicken thighs (whole, skin on).
- It’s 1 lb. of Andouille sausage.
- Prepare 2 tbs. of butter.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of flour.
- You need 3 cups of chicken stock.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves (peeled, thinly sliced).
- It’s Dash of salt, pepper, Creole or Cajun seasoning.
- It’s 1 tsp. of dried thyme.
- You need Dash of red pepper flakes.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s Dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare Dash of hot sauce.
- It’s 1/2 cup of green onions (thinly sliced, white ends to green).
- Prepare 1 cup of sliced okra (frozen – if not in season).
- It’s 2 of tsps. Filé powder (optional).
- It’s 1/3 cup of fresh parsley (finely chopped).
- Prepare 2 cups of cooked rice.
Our Andouille Sausage Cajun Gumbo Recipe. The crawfish etouffee was the best, I love how you can sample J. Cajun & creole restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky. See more ideas about Gumbo, Cajun recipes and Seafood gumbo.
Cajun Gumbo instructions
- Prepare the shrimp and set aside in the refrigerator. Take the shells / tails and place them in a small pot. Add the water and Old Bay seasoning to the pot and bring to a boil..
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid into a large cup and discard the shells. [Reserve this liquid].
- Prepare the vegetables; place them all in a bowl, and set aside..
- Season the chicken. Add oil to a large pan and cook the chicken 15 minutes per side on medium heat. Remove them from the pan and allow them to cool..
- In the same pan, add the sausage and brown 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and allow it to cool..
- Pour off the oil in the pan to measure about 1/2 cup. Add butter to the pan and begin to melt. Add the measured oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat until slightly smoking. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup flour..
- Cook this, whisking constantly, until the roux is a bit darkish brown. The timing on this varies depending on the pan used, the heat, medium or dark roux technique, etc. Be careful not to let it burn. [May take 8-15 minutes].
- When the roux reaches the optimum color, reduce the heat to medium-low, add the vegetables, and mix. Scrape the pan bottom and stir occasionally. Heat this for 7-8 minutes, until the vegetables are soft, and set aside..
- Take a large pot (Dutch oven), pour in the chicken and shrimp stock, and begin to heat. When the stock is hot, add the vegetable mixture (using a large spoon), and mix this as you add more. When the roux is dissolved, continue to heat until a slight boil..
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and stir in the garlic, all seasonings, and sauces. Remove the chicken meat from the bones, roughly chop the meat, and place in the pot. [Discard the skin and bones] Cut the sausage up in 1/2” pieces and add them to the pot..
- Add the green onions (white parts) and simmer for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. After the long simmer, raise the heat to medium, add the okra, and cook for 15 minutes. The stock will thicken a bit more..
- Reduce the heat to low, add the refrigerated shrimp and parsley, stir a few times, and cook until the shrimp begins to turn a slight pink. [Add filé powder at this point if not using okra] Turn off the heat; allow this to rest, while preparing the rice..
- To serve, place a cup of cooked rice into a round mini-cup. Invert the cup of rice into the center of a plate or bowl (with low sides). Ladle the gumbo all around the mounded rice and garnish with parsley. Repeat for other serving bowls..
- Serve and enjoy with some crusty bread or cornbread..
Love — and a good gumbo — cures everything! There's a gumbo recipe in every book of The Cajun Embassy romance series. Download Cajun gumbo stock photos at the best stock photography agency with millions of premium high quality, royalty-free stock photos, images and pictures at reasonable prices. Find cajun gumbo stock images in HD and millions of other royalty-free stock photos, illustrations and vectors in the Shutterstock collection. Thousands of new, high-quality pictures added every day.