Seafood Gumbo. A recipe for seafood gumbo that contains oysters, crab, and shrimp in a spicy thick broth made with spices, aromatic vegetables, and a dark roux. Gumbo is one dish that makes Louisiana cuisine so famous. We live across the state line in Texas and can't seem to get enough of this traditional gumbo recipe that features okra, shrimp, spicy seasonings and what is called the holy trinity—onions, green peppers and celery.
Plus there's a pound of andouille sausage for some meatiness. Some opt for seafood, others for chicken and andouille. For this recipe, we chose to fill the gumbo with heady seafood ingredients such as fresh crabmeat, shrimp, and oysters. You can have Seafood Gumbo using 20 easy ingredients and 10 simple steps. This is guide how cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Seafood Gumbo
- It’s 3/4 c. of Bacon drippings.
- It’s 1 c. of Flour.
- You need 1 c. of Celery.
- Prepare 1 of large white onion.
- You need 1 of bellpepper.
- Prepare 1 of large tomatoe.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp. of Gumbo file seasoning.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp. of Worshircheire.
- You need 1 Tbsp. of Tony Chachere's (cajun seasoning).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp. of Louisiana hot sauce.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp. of Vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp. of Salt.
- You need 32 oz. of Of good beef stock or bone broth.
- Prepare 1 lb. of andoullie sausage.
- You need 1 lb. of Shrimp.
- It’s 1 of cn. Lump crab meat.
- It’s 1 pkg. of Frozen okra.
- It’s 1 c. of Cooked rice per bowl.
- Prepare 1 of boiled egg per bowl.
This is a real SEAFOOD gumbo. This is the best gumbo I've ever had. The crab boil is the key ingredient – do not omit it. The smell will drive you nuts!!!
Seafood Gumbo step by step
- Heat bacon drippings on low to medium heat and whisk in flour..
- Continue to whisk and cook roux on medium heat until it reaches a rich dark brown color. This could take up to 30 minutes. Whisk non stop or the roux will burn..
- Once you reach your desired color, turn down to low to medium heat and add in onion, celery, and bellpepper and let this cook for another 10 minutes. It will become very thick..
- Add in chopped garlic, andoullie sauage, and chopped tomato and cook another 5 minutes..
- In a skillet, add a Tbsp of bacon grease, vinager, and okra and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally..
- Add stock or bone broth to the roux mixture and stir until well blended..
- Add gumbo file, Tony's, salt, hot sauce, Worcestershire and stir..
- Remove cooked okra from skillet with a slotted spatula and add to gumbo..
- Add lump crab and shrimp and let simmer until ready to serve..
- Serve gumbo over a bowl of rice and add a boiled egg cut in half. Enjoy!.
Ben Thibodeaux, chef de cuisine of Dickie Brennan's Tableau in Le Petit Theatre, says, "Our warm, fertile waters help our blue crabs get nice and fat, which lends a sweetness to the seafood gumbo. Whether it's crab claws sauteed in browned butter or jumbo lump. Bring the gumbo to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Seafood Gumbo, with shrimp, crab, chicken Andouille sausage, and okra is an authentic spicy Cajun meal served over rice or grits. This recipe is not super easy as it takes time to cook to properly develop all of the flavors.