Seafood Gumbo. I've had lots of seafood gumbo in my day, and I've made more than a few. But nothing has blown me away like the version I ate at Peche, a New Orleans seafood restaurant run by Chef Don Link. This delightful Seafood Gumbo is full of shrimp and crab and it has a nice spicy kick.
This is a great seafood stew "gumbo". This would be great with mussels and some pieces of cod Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste are often used in gumbo and jambalaya. Seafood Gumbo, with shrimp, crab, chicken Andouille sausage, and okra is an authentic spicy Cajun meal served over rice or grits. You can cook Seafood Gumbo using 27 simple ingredients and 4 simple steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve delicious meal.
Ingredients of Seafood Gumbo
- Prepare of Roux ingredients.
- You need 3/4 cup of bacon drippings.
- You need 1 cup of flour.
- Prepare of Vegetable mix.
- You need 1 cup of chopped celery.
- Prepare 1 of large green bell pepper.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 1 pound of andouille sausage.
- Prepare 1 of yellow onion.
- Prepare of Gumbo base.
- It’s 3 quarts of water.
- You need 6 cubes of beef bouillon.
- You need 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- You need 2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce (Louisiana hot sauce).
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Cajon Seasoning.
- Prepare 4 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves.
- You need 14.5 ounce of can stewed tomatoes.
- Prepare 6 ounce of can tomato sauce.
- You need 2 teaspoons of gumbo file powder.
- Prepare of Seafood mix.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar.
- Prepare 1 pound of lump crabmeat.
- Prepare 3 pounds of uncooked medium shrimp (peeled and deveined).
- You need 2 tablespoons of Worcester shire sauce.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of gumbo file powder.
This recipe is not super easy as it takes time to cook to properly. This is a real SEAFOOD gumbo. This is the best gumbo I've ever had. The crab boil is the key ingredient – do not omit it.
Seafood Gumbo instructions
- Make roux mix by whisking flour and bacon drippings constantly in sauce pan over medium-low heat until rich mahogany color. Remove from heat until it stops cooking. Usually 8-15 minutes..
- Place celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic in food processor on pulse until finely chopped. Mix vegetables and sausage into roux mix and place back over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender. Usually 10-15 minutes..
- Bring water and beef bouillon to boil in large pot (8 quarts or larger). Whisk the roux mix into boiling water once the cubes disolve. Reduce to simmer then mix in the rest of the base: sugar, salt, hot sauce, Cajon seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer for 1 hour and add the file gumbo powder at the 45 minute mark..
- Mix in shrimp, crab meat, Worsteshire and white vinegar into gumbo and simmer for another 45 minutes. Mix in file gumbo powder before serving..
Every good gumbo starts with mixture of butter and flour called a roux. In this time, you should be stirring. This excellent seafood gumbo recipe includes stewed tomatoes and oysters, along with crab meat and shrimp and of course, spices. Plus, this Seafood Gumbo recipe is ready in under an hour!! This recipe was originally published in I fell in love with seafood gumbo many, many years ago.