Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder. A feast of delicious fish and seafood in a beautifully seasoned creamy broth. Makes for an elegant lunch served with fresh baguette or as in small The real key to any successful creamy seafood chowder is not to overcook the fish. This is another reason why I don't often order it in restaurants.
You can add other favorite chowder ingredients like corn and bacon to this recipe too. Took Corey to the river mouth to try and catch some kahawai, a great base for the tasty seafood chowder. Out for a dive for some mussels for another tasty. This Tasty Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder using 16 simple ingredients and 7 easy steps. Here is how you achieve delicious meal.
Ingredients of Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder
- It’s 3 tablespoons of butter.
- You need 2 tablespoons of Olive oil.
- It’s 500 g of skinned and boned white fish, such as basa, cod or flake.
- It’s 1 of x boned salmon tail.
- Prepare 500 g of shelled and deveined small prawns/shrips.
- Prepare 4 of large potatos (roughly chopped).
- You need 4 of celery stalks (roughly chopped into 4-5 cm pieces).
- Prepare 1 of large onion (thinly sliced).
- You need 2 of garlic cloves (diced).
- Prepare 1 L of fish stock.
- It’s 250 ml of thickened cream.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary.
- You need of Salt and black pepper.
- Prepare 3 strands of saffron (optional).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of plain flour (to thicken).
- You need of Crusty bread (to serve).
You may need to add additional cornstarch and water to get the desired thickness. Irish seafood chowder recipe is synonomous with seaside towns like Kinsale where it's hugely popular. It's not surprising that chowder is an Irish menu staple. Seen as a "poor man's food" the hearty soup made with cream and seafood is right down Ireland's alley when it comes to wholesome.
Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder instructions
- One of the greatest things about his recipe is the different textures of the fish. To begin, heat your oil on a pan over a medium heat. Salt you salmon (on the non skin side) and place it face down on the hot oil. Cook for 5 minutes then flip. Cook on the skin side for 5 minutets. Remove from heat, discard the skin and set aside. Pre-cooking the salmon will ensure that it doesn't splinter in the Chowder..
- In a large pot heat the butter using a low heat. When hot, add onion and garlic. Cook on a low heat for 5-7 minutes, or until fragrent. Add potato and celery. Cook on a low heat for 15 minutes, or until potato slightly softens..
- Add your fish stock, then bring to the boil. While the water is boiling, prepare your whitefish by chopping it into large-ish (5cm chunks). When the water is boiled, throw in your white fish, prawns, rosemary and 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Place lid on pot and turn down to a low heat. Leave to cook for 30 minites..
- Try the liquid mixture. Adjust for seasoning (depending on what fish-stock you are using, you might need to add salt). Chop your already fried salmon into similar sized chunks as the whitefish. Place in the pot..
- Stir through the cream, turn up to medium heat. If you are using a little saffron, add it now. It won't bring much flavour, but it will add a lovely colour to your Chowder..
- When the cream has heated (approx 3mins) add in your flour 1 spoon at a time, making sure it stirred through. You might need to add additional flour depending on consistency. Add extra flour 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached..
- Enjoy with some crusty bread..
I used frozen shrimp canned crab meat instead of fish and it's definitely a winner! I did doubled the shrimp and omitted the white fish. Our delicious seafood chowders and soups really hit the spot. With quick and easy shrimp recipes and crab recipes, you've got plenty to choose from. Whether you're looking for a hearty chowder, a simple bisque or a soup recipe for cod fish or tilapia, find the best seafood soup and chowder.