Vickys Gumbo, GF DF EF SF NF.
This Perfect Vickys Gumbo, GF DF EF SF NF using 18 easy ingredients and 6 simple steps. Here is how you cook yummy food.
Ingredients of Vickys Gumbo, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 3 tbsp of bacon grease.
- It’s 3 tbsp of gluten-free / plain flour.
- It’s 250 g of green bell pepper, diced.
- It’s 300 g of celery, diced.
- Prepare 150 g of broccoli stalks.
- It’s 150 g of onions, chopped.
- You need 400 ml of hot chicken stock.
- You need 1 handful of chopped kale.
- Prepare 400 g of canned chopped tomatoes.
- You need 4 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, see my GF recipe on my profile.
- You need 2 of pre-cooked chicken breasts, diced.
- It’s 225 g of gluten-free pork kielbasa sausage, sliced.
- It’s 1 tbsp of low-sodium salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of thyme.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper or to taste.
- You need 225 g of fresh prawns / shrimp, shelled & deveined.
Vickys Gumbo, GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Cook the bacon grease and flour together in a large pan over a medium heat until the roux mixture has turned a golden brown colour.
- Add the chopped vegetables and cook down until the roux has turned a deep brown, around 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the stock, chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, kielbasa, chicken and seasonings.
- Cook at a simmer for 15 minutes then add the prawns and cook a further 10 minutes until they're pink and done.
- Serve over white rice.
- In the USA they use Filé powder to thicken their gumbo. We don't get that in Britain but you can use 1 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch mixed with a few tbsps cold water if you want to instead. Just stir it in while the pan is simmering and it'll thicken the gumbo.