Creamy New England Clam Chowder. A real New England Clam Chowder NEVER thickens with flour or cornstarch. That will change the flavor and texture completely. It makes for a much creamier chowder.
I got a little adventurous on this one (well, for me anyway). New England clam chowder normally contains clams, potatoes, onions, salted pork and milk or cream. The addition of dairy is considered the biggest This clam chowder is thickened with a slurry, a mixture of fat-free half-and-half and flour. You can cook Creamy New England Clam Chowder using 11 simple ingredients and 10 simple steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve this tasty food.
Ingredients of Creamy New England Clam Chowder
- You need 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 piece of thick cut bacon, finely diced.
- It’s 1 cup of diced onion.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- It’s 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 2 cup of bottled clam juice.
- It’s 2 can of minced clams (6 1/2 ounce cans) in juice. Reserve liquid.
- It’s 3 of medium potatoes, peeled and diced into medium chunks.
- You need 1/3 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s of kosher salt.
- It’s of ground black pepper.
By mixing these two together, you will prevent clumping. New England Clam Chowder is one of my all-time favorite comfort soups. Just the thought of this soup gives me fierce cravings. Try this clam chowder recipe and get more comfort food recipes and ideas from Food.com.
Creamy New England Clam Chowder instructions
- Cook the bacon and onion in butter on medium heat until bacon has rendered and onions are translucent and soft..
- Mix in the minced garlic and heat, do not brown garlic, it will taste bitter if you do..
- Whisk in the flour until no longer lumpy and cook a couple of minutes to remove the raw flour taste..
- Strain the clams in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl to reserve the liquid..
- Slowly add the juice from clams, and the 2 cups clam juice to the flour mixture stirring continuously..
- Bring to a boil and whisking until smooth, thickened and creamy. Make sure you scrape the bottom good so it doesn't scorch..
- Add the potatoes, and reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly until temp has come down..
- When simmering, cook until potatoes are tender. When tender, add the clams and heavy cream..
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Can also sprinkle top with chives. It is good and looks pretty if you like. Also parsley is good..
- Serve with oyster crackers, regular crackers or toasted French bread..
I've had chowder at Legal Seafoods in Boston, which I have to say is good, but mine is BETTER! If you like thick chowder, you'll love this one!! Wonderfully creamy New England Clam Chowder is way easier than you think to make at home and about to become a new family favorite! This easy clam chowder recipe has rich flavor for the perfect bowl of comfort! New England Clam Chowder should have a nice and thick creamy broth.