Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
You can have Chicken and Sausage Gumbo using 26 easy ingredients and 9 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- You need 500 g of smoked sausage (andouille, or kielbasa from the Polish shop works well).
- It’s 4 of bone in, skin on chicken thighs.
- It’s of Vegetable oil.
- You need 3/4 cup of flour.
- Prepare 2 of medium brown onions, diced.
- Prepare 2 of medium green bell peppers, diced.
- You need 5 of ribs of celery, diced.
- Prepare 2 litres of water.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic minced.
- You need 3 of bay leaves.
- Prepare of Glug of Worcester sauce.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning (see recipe below).
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Prepare Pinch of smoked bittersweet paprika.
- You need Bunch of spring onions.
- Prepare of Tabasco.
- It’s of Hot basmati rice.
- Prepare of Cajun seasoning.
- It’s 3/4 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of dried oregano.
- You need 1/4 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of onion powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of white pepper.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo instructions
- Cook sausage in a cast iron pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until browned. Drain on kitchen roll, reserving drippings in pan. Set sausage aside..
- Brown chicken in drippings in the same pan over medium heat for 5 minutes or so. Remove to kitchen roll, reserving drippings in the pan. Set chicken aside..
- Add enough oil to drippings in same pan to measure 1/2 cup. Add flour, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 20 to 30 minutes, or until roux is chocolate coloured. Be careful not to burn it! Starting again is heartbreaking 😫.
- Stir in onion, pepper, and celery; cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until tender. Stick your head in at this point for the best smell ever!.
- Gradually add 2 litres hot water. The mixtures seizes up at first because of the roux but will continue to loosen. Once all the water has been added, bring the mixture to a boil. Add chicken, garlic, bay leaves, Worcester, Creole seasoning, thyme and paprika..
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally for an hour. Remove chicken and let it cool..
- Add sausage back in and cook for a further 30 minutes..
- Stir in most of the sliced green onions and cook for a further 20 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the chicken off the bone and add back in the the gumbo with 5 minutes to go..
- Discard the bay leaves. Serve with rice, remaining green onions and a few good glugs of Tabasco on top..