Leftover Thanksgiving Gumbo!.
You can cook Leftover Thanksgiving Gumbo! using 18 simple ingredients and 9 simple steps. This is guide how cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Leftover Thanksgiving Gumbo!
- Prepare of Leftover Turkey.
- It’s of Leftover Ham.
- You need of Leftover cornbread dressing.
- Prepare of Leftover Turkey gravy.
- You need 2 of mashed sweet potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- You need 3 of celery.
- It’s 1 of jalapeno.
- Prepare 6 of large cloves garlic.
- You need 4 of knorr chicken bouillon cubes.
- It’s 1 tbsp of garlic powder.
- You need 2 tsp of onion powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of cajun seasoning.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s of For roux.
- You need 2 1/2 cups of flour.
- It’s 2 cups of vegetable or corn oil.
Leftover Thanksgiving Gumbo! step by step
- Mince all vegetables, set aside. Remove fatty parts from ham and cut into 1 inch pieces. Heat butter in skillet and sear ham. Drain if ham releases a lot of fat and return to skillet. Add 2 cups of water and scrape sear from bottom of the pan. Reduce to lowest heat setting and allow to slowly simmer while you prepare the rest of the gumbo..
- Have a few quarts of water set to side of stove (you will need it when roux is done). In a Dutch oven use medium setting to heat oil. Test for readiness by dropping a pinch of flour into pot, if it sizzles, it's ready. Add flour one cup at a time and whisk until all is incorporated. Lower heat to medium low (I set mine on 3 or 4) and CONSTANTLY stir with metal or wooden spatula until roux is the color of chocolate. This takes 20 to 30 minutes. I pull up a bar stool, have a seat and stir :).
- When roux is ready add your vegetables and continue to stir for a few minutes more until roux is shiny and smooth. Add water that was set aside and stir..
- Add leftover gravy and stir.
- Add ham and water it's been simmering in..
- Add mashed sweet potatoes and stir..
- Fill pot with water until about 3/4 full. Add all of your seasonings and slowly bring to boil stirring occasionally. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes..
- Add Turkey and cook another 10 minutes.
- Serve with leftover cornbread dressing.