Chicken and Turkey Sausage Gumbo. Delicious sausages made with premium ingredients. Season with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning; blend thoroughly. Place the onion, bell pepper, and celery in a slow cooker.
Add the okra, tomatoes, file powder, hot sauce and picked turkey meat. This gumbo is a great use for leftover roasted turkey, though cooked chicken will also work. We skip the long-stirred roux here in favor of filé powder, a thickener made from the sassafras plant; look for it on the spice aisle. This Delicious Chicken and Turkey Sausage Gumbo using 12 simple ingredients and 3 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve yummy food.
Ingredients of Chicken and Turkey Sausage Gumbo
- You need 4 of chicken breasts.
- Prepare 2 of 13 oz. turkey sausage.
- You need 1 cup of chopped onion.
- Prepare 1 large of bell pepper – chopped.
- You need 1 cup of chopped celery.
- It’s 2 large of tomatoes peeled & chopped.
- It’s 2 of Tbl. "Vegeta".
- Prepare 1 of Tbl. red crushed pepper.
- You need 64 oz of chicken stock.
- It’s 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- You need 1 cup of roux.
For the best results, stir in the filé powder off the heat. The secrets to a good gumbo aren't anything fancy either, but if you take the time to do them right, your gumbo will be just as good as the ones served in New Orleans. Make sure to brown the sausage and chicken until they both have crispy caramelization. Add the smoked sausage and stir.
Chicken and Turkey Sausage Gumbo step by step
- Sautee chicken breasts until done in olive oil and garlic. Cut into pieces and add to crock pot with chicken broth..
- Sautee onions and celery in olive oil. Add remaining ingredients to crock pot except for tomatoes. Save for end of cooking time..
- Cook for two hours on high or four hours on low. Add tomatoes in the end of cooking time..
Add the chicken pieces, bay leaf and finely minced fresh garlic. Cut the meat from the bones and discard the bones. This Easy Chicken Gumbo recipe is like a party for your mouth! Vibrant, spicy flavor simmered to perfection, this combination of chicken, sausage, okra, and veggies is cooked in a creamy creole spiced broth that is just pure comfort. Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo has a deep, smooth and savory flavor with a subtly spicy finish.