Bicol Express. Bicol Express is pure comfort food! With pork cubes cooked in coconut milk and chili peppers, it's rich, creamy, spicy and delicious! Serve with steamed rice for a hearty and big flavored meal!
Bicol Express, known natively in Bikol as sinilihan (lit. 'spiced with chili'), is a popular Filipino dish which was popularized in the district of Malate, Manila but made in traditional Bicolano style. It is a stew made from long chilies (siling mahaba in Tagalog), coconut milk, shrimp paste or stockfish, onion. Bicol Express, as the name implies is a specialty dish from the Bicol region. This Perfect Bicol Express using 13 easy ingredients and 5 easy steps. Here is how you cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Bicol Express
- You need of Main ingredients.
- Prepare 800 grams of Pork belly(diced or long square strips).
- It’s 1/2 cup of Dried shrimps(tiny or baby shrimps).
- It’s 4 of Chili fingers(Julienned).
- You need 6 clove of Garlic(Minced).
- It’s 1 of Red onion(chopped).
- It’s 2 cup of Coconut extract/Gata(Evaporated).
- You need 1 cup of Coconut extract/Gata(Condensed).
- It’s 1 of Salt.
- You need 1 of Freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare of Alternatives for dried shrimps.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Bagoong Alamang(Shrimp paste) or…..
- You need 1 of Patis(Fish sauce).
It is a dish suited for those who love their food hot. Some Bicolanos sauté hot chili peppers and nothing else and enjoy this. THE TASTIEST & SPICIEST BICOL EXPRESS (exact ingredients below) BICOL EXPRESS is a popular Filipino dish. It is a spicy food made of pork, chilies.
Bicol Express step by step
- In a pan, sauté the garlic and onions..
- Add the pork belly and stir fry for a couple of minutes..
- Add 2 cups of coconut extract(evap) and dried shrimps(or other alternatives) then bring to a boil and simmer in medium heat for 20 minutes or until the coconut extract had reduced to a thick oily gravy..
- Add the chillies and a cup of coconut extract(condensed) and continue to simmer for 10 minutes..
- Add salt and pepper to taste..
Bicol express is a spicy Filipino stew consisting of bite sized pieces of pork with chilies, coconut milk, shrimp paste (bagoong), onions, tomato and garlic. The dish is named after the train in the Bicol. Bicol Express is the name given to a popular dish which originated in the Bicol Region of the Philippines. It is a stew made with red hot chilli peppers (siling labuyo in Philippines), coconut milk. Bicol Express is a Filipino dish of browned pork cooked with finger chilies and coconut cream.