You can cook Bacalao Guisado using 17 simple ingredients and 5 easy steps. Here is how you cook this tasty food.
Ingredients of Bacalao Guisado
- Prepare 3/4 of lb- 1lb bacalao or haddock or favorite fresh white fish.
- You need 1 of small yellow onion.
- You need 2-4 of potatoes.
- You need 1 (8 oz) of can tomato sauce.
- It’s 2 tsp of minced garlic.
- It’s 3/4 of of a green pepper.
- You need 1/2 of of a red pepper.
- It’s 1 packet of sazon.
- It’s 1 tsp of oregano.
- Prepare to taste of Black pepper.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- You need to taste of Adobo.
- Prepare 1 packet of sazon.
- You need of Optional.
- It’s 1 of carrot.
- Prepare 1/4 of habanero pepper.
- You need to taste of Sofrito.
Bacalao Guisado step by step
- If using bacalao or a salty white fish you need to soak fish in water overnight or for 2 hours, changing water every 15 minutes. If using a not as salty fish like haddock, just soak for 30 minutes. Start to boil water. Peel & cut potatoes, put in a bowl with water (to prevent browning) until you are ready. Boil water, and put fish & potatoes in (you can separate them if you want). Let boil for 20-25 minutes, test with fork..
- While fish is boiling, chop your vegetables and set aside. Add garlic. When fish/potatoes are done, let drain & set aside. Shred fish..
- Heat oil in pan. Add vegetables & mix around. Let cook until translucent. Add sazon, black pepper, oregano and some adobo, mix and let cook for a few minutes..
- Add tomato sauce, water & sofrito. Let boil/simmer for 3 minutes. Add fish & potatoes and more black pepper & adobo to taste..
- Mix around til everything is covered in sauce mixture. Let simmer for 5-7minutes. Taste add salt/pepper if needed. Best served with white rice..