Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce – Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag.
You can cook Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce – Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag using 12 simple ingredients and 6 easy steps. This is guide how cook yummy food.
Ingredients of Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce – Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag
- You need 2-3 of large blue crabs (pick heavy ones, means it's fatty).
- You need 1 of large Onion, chopped.
- Prepare 3-4 of garlic cloves, chopped.
- It’s 1 of thumb ginger, chopped.
- Prepare of Milk from 1 coconut.
- It’s 1/4 slice of kalabasa or squash, cubed.
- Prepare 1 bunch of Kangkong or water spinach.
- It’s to taste of Patis or Fish sauce,.
- It’s 0.25 pc of chicken broth cube to taste (optional).
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
- You need of Cooking oil.
- It’s 1-2 of long chilies (optional), sliced.
Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce – Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag instructions
- Saute garlic, ginger, and onions in oil in a deep pan or wok..
- Add the coconut milk. Add the cubed squash. Chop off the bottom stems (thick and hard parts) of the kangkong/water spinach. Get the leaves and young stems only, chop coarsely. Add to the pan..
- Simmer and cover until squash is tender. Mash squash coarsely with spatula. Season with patis (fish sauce, few drops), salt and pepper to taste..
- Add halved crabs (make sure you have cleaned and removed the grime, separated the claws, and cut in half). Add the claws. Cutting in half lets the fat melt in the sauce, making it delicious. You can also opt to add the crabs whole (if you prefer to enjoy the crab head cover with all it's goodness) and just adjust the taste with seasoning. Don't remove the claws as well if ever, as the fat will seep out of the shell..
- Add a small portion of a chicken or seafood broth cube- not all, adjust to your taste. Mix in well..
- Cook covered until crab changes color (bright orange). Add sliced chilies if desired. Mix in. Serve while hot. :).