Bak Chang (rice dumplings). Learn how to make Hokkien bak chang in a pressure cooker or with boiling method. The recipe is a no fuss but with same great taste. Also sharing how to wrap zongzi.
Hokkiens call it Bak Chang, Cantonese call it Harm Yook Joong. other dialects. no idea. Bak Chang (Savoury Rice Dumpling) 咸肉粽子 – Featured in Group Recipes. I know now is not the right time to introduce glutinous rice dumpling, as Dumpling festival (端午節) which traditionally is celebrated in June (fifth day of the fifth month on the Chinese lunar. You can cook Bak Chang (rice dumplings) using 17 easy ingredients and 5 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve it.
Ingredients of Bak Chang (rice dumplings)
- You need 40 pcs of fresh bambu leaf.
- It’s 500 gm of glutinous rice (soak in water over night).
- Prepare 200 gm of Dried lotus seeds (soak in warm water for 30min).
- It’s 200 gm of Dried shiitaki mushrooms (soak in warm water for 30min).
- Prepare 200 gm of dried shrimps.
- It’s 3 of Chinese sausages (slice into thin slices).
- It’s 20 of long strings (30cm to 40cm).
- You need of Wok sauce ingredients.
- Prepare 0.5 dl of sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 dl of dark mushrooms soya.
- You need 2 tablespoon of light soya sauce.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of oyster sauce.
- Prepare 2 of sweet soya sauce.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of white pepper.
- You need of Boiling needs.
- Prepare of Rice cooker or 5 liter pot and stove.
- You need 4 liter of water.
Zongzi (sticky rice dumplings) are traditionally eaten during the Duanwu Festival (Dragon Boat At this time, the package of rice dumplings in addition to the raw materials of glutinous rice, also added Nyonya chang (娘惹粽): A specialty of Peranakan cuisine, this zongzi are made similarly to. Well, I was concerned that bak chang making – a pretty complicated process – simply was not in keeping with the main aim of my blog – to simplify the complex so as to teach or encourage people how to cook. I am simply not convinced that one can learn how to wrap bak chang by looking at pictures. An authentic recipe for Bak Chang (also know as Zongzi), a glutinous rice dumpling filled with meat.
Bak Chang (rice dumplings) instructions
- Strain out all water from rice, lotus seeds and shiitaki mushrooms..
- Heat up the frying pan, add in sesame oil and continue add in the glutinous rice, lotus seeds, mushrooms and dried shrimps. Stir well until all combine. (keep the Chinese sausages, will use it later on wrapping part).
- Then pour in all the sauce ingredients. Wok a while around 8min. Then put it a side..
- Time to start wrap the rice in the bambu leaf. Put 2 leaves together and twist into cone shape. Take first spoon of the wok rice put into the bambu cone then add in the sausages slices then cover up again with another 2 spoon of wok rice..
- Wrap it over then use the string to tight it up. After all done. Boiled up the water in the pot. Add in all the dumplings into the pot, in hight heat for 2 hours boiling, then is ready..
Get our Nyonya style Bak Chang recipe. Fold the top of the leaves over the rice, and around the cone to neaten and secure the rice dumpling within the cone. It should look like a pyramid. The Nonya bak chang is a creation unique to this region. It is stuffed with a filling of minced pork, mushrooms, and candied winter melon stewed; and wrapped in bamboo leaves.