Grandma-Style Chikuzen-ni with Chikuwa For New Years.
You can have Grandma-Style Chikuzen-ni with Chikuwa For New Years using 11 easy ingredients and 18 simple steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Grandma-Style Chikuzen-ni with Chikuwa For New Years
- Prepare 400 grams of Satoimo (taro root).
- You need 1 of Burdock root.
- Prepare 1 of Carrot.
- It’s 150 grams of Lotus root.
- You need 4 of Dried shiitake mushrooms.
- Prepare 3 of Chikuwa.
- You need 600 ml of Dashi stock.
- You need 40 ml of Soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of Sugar.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Sake.
- You need 1 of Salt.
Grandma-Style Chikuzen-ni with Chikuwa For New Years instructions
- Rehydrate the shiitake mushrooms in water..
- Make a simple dashi stock. Put a dashi pack in a container, and add 600 ml of boiling water. Leave as-is while you prepare the vegetables..
- Peel lotus root, cut to bite-size pieces, and soak..
- Peel the carrot and chop into chunks..
- Shave the peel off the burdock root..
- Cut and soak..
- Cut the chikuwa too. You can substitute the chikuwa with sashimi-grade scallops for an even tastier dish..
- Cut the rehydrated shiitake mushrooms. Here, I just quartered them..
- Now the dashi stock is ready. I added konbu seaweed to this one. https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/172062-convenient-and-easy-dashi-stock-packs.
- Put the burdock root, carrot, lotus root, satoimo, and chikuwa in a pot in that order..
- Pour the dashi stock from Step 9 in as well as the sake, and heat. Add about 1/2 cup (100 ml) of the shiitake mushroom soaking liquid, too..
- Add the sugar. I used Lakanto artificial sweetener which I found when looking for my beet sugar. Regular sugar is fine, too..
- After a while, it will come to a boil and scum will rise to the surface..
- I'm lazy, so I just absorb the scum with paper towels…..
- …and swab it off..
- Add the soy sauce..
- From here it takes about 30 minutes or so. Simmer over low heat until there's just a little liquid left in the pan..
- Add a little salt at the end to bring the flavors together. Stir up the bottom ingredients and it's ready..