For Osechi, Too! Chikuzen-ni With Lots of Root Vegetables.
This Yummy For Osechi, Too! Chikuzen-ni With Lots of Root Vegetables using 18 easy ingredients and 18 simple steps. Learn how to achieve this tasty food.
Ingredients of For Osechi, Too! Chikuzen-ni With Lots of Root Vegetables
- It’s 1 of Chicken thigh.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ☆Sake.
- It’s 1 tsp of ☆Soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of ☆Mirin.
- You need 8 of Satoimo (taro root).
- Prepare 1 of Lotus root.
- Prepare 1/2 of Burdock root.
- It’s 1 of Carrot.
- You need 6 of Shiitake mushrooms.
- It’s 1 block of Konnyaku.
- Prepare 1 of Snow peas.
- Prepare 1 of Vegetable oil.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cup of ★Dashi stock.
- You need 2 tbsp of ★Sake.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ★Sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of ◆Soy sauce.
- You need 2 tbsp of ◆Mirin.
- It’s 1 pinch of ◆Salt.
For Osechi, Too! Chikuzen-ni With Lots of Root Vegetables instructions
- Cut the chicken into pieces that are a big bigger than bite sized. Combine with the ☆ ingredients..
- Cut the satoimi into hexagonal shapes, and blanch quickly. Wash them off to remove the surface sliminess and drain in a colander..
- Slice the lotus root 7 to 8 mm thick. Cut around the edges to turn the slices into flower-shaped lotus root slices. Soak the lotus root slices in vinegar water. (See Step 13.).
- Burdock root: Scrape the skin off with the back of a knife. Cut on an angle into thin slices, and soak in water. When the water turns brown, change to fresh water..
- Cut the carrot into 7-8 mm thick slices, and cut them out into flower shapes with a food cutter. Use a knife to turn them into nejiri-ume (twisted ume plum flowers). (See Step 16.).
- Shiitake mushrooms: Quickly rinse off any dirt, take off the stems, and cut in half if they are big. (Dried shiitake mushrooms are delicious, too.).
- Konnyaku: Slice 7 to 8 mm thick, make a slit down the middle, push the ends into the slit so they twist to form a knot konnyaku (see photo). Blanch in boiling water. (This prevents the konnyaku from un-twisting.).
- Put some oil in a pot and stir fry the chicken quickly. When it browns, remove..
- Add some oil to the same pot and quickly stir fry the ingredients from Steps 2 to 7. Add the ★ ingredients, put on a small lid that sits on top of the pot contents (drop lid or otoshibuta) and simmer over medium heat until the ingredients are tender..
- While the pot is simmering, prepare the decorative snow peas. Take the strings off, and blanch quickly in salted water (the salt is not included in the ingredient list). Refresh in cold water to fix the color. Cut as shown in the photo (or in any way you prefer)..
- When the vegetables from Step 9 have cooked through, add the ◆ flavoring ingredients and chicken, and simmer until almost no liquid is left in the pan. (Cover partially with a lid and shake the pan around occasionally to distribute the flavors.).
- Transfer to a serving plate, and decorate with the snow peas. Serve..
- How to cut the flower-shaped lotus root.
- Make cuts from the skin side in between all the holes of the lotus root..
- Cut around each hole while peeling. When all the edges above the holes have been cut on one side, flip over and cut off the remaining peel to finish..
- How to cut nejiri-ume (twisted ume flowers)..
- Cut out the carrot using a flower shaped food cutter. Make slanted cuts in the carrot in between the flower petals five times..
- Carve the surface of the petals diagonally. Repeat for all 5 cuts and the flower is done..