Shio Koji Lotus Root. Shio Koji's convenience is another reason this traditional ingredient recaptured the spotlight in Japan. It can be used to marinate meat or fish, or added as a sauce The enzymes contained in shio koji break down proteins to pull out umami flavors and this process also contributes to tenderizing meat and fish. Lotus root helps improve digestion, reduce cholesterol, control blood pressure, and boost immunity.
Shio Koji (塩麹, 塩糀) is a mix of salt, water and rice koji, and it's a natural seasoning used to marinate, tenderize, and enhance the umami, or richness (one of the five basic tastes), in foods. It's a live food that is rich in enzymes that break down the starches and proteins in food into sugars and amino acids. Lotus Root (莲藕, lian ou) – a general introduction of lotus root in Chinese cooking, its usage, preparation, buy, and storage information. You can have Shio Koji Lotus Root using 9 easy ingredients and 4 simple steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shio Koji Lotus Root
- Prepare 150 g of lotus root.
- You need 1 of carrot.
- You need 1 tbsp of ginger.
- You need 2 tsp of shio koji.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sake.
- You need 1 tbsp of roasted black sesame.
- You need 2-3 of spring onion.
- It’s 1 tbsp of roasted sesame oil.
- Prepare of dried bonito flakes "Katsuobushi" (optional).
Fresh lotus root is a popular ingredient in Chinese cooking. The root can also be processed into lotus root starch or dried and ground into powder, and. Mirin, cooking sake & shio koji. The Best Lotus Root Recipes on Yummly
Shio Koji Lotus Root instructions
- Peel the lotus root, slice it in 5mm width, cut in halves and soak in bowl of water. Halve the carrot then slice thinly. Peel and finely chop the ginger. Chop the spring onion..
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan in mid heat, add ginger and fry till the fragrance comes out. Add drained lotus root and carrots and fry..
- Add sake once the vegetables are cooked, let the alcohol evaporate then remove from heat. Add shio koji and sesame seed and mix well..
- Serve on a plate and sprinkle the spring onion and bonito flakes on top..
Marinated Lotus Root, Lotus Root Chips, Crispy Lotus Root Chips. The shio koji acts as the pickling agent in this recipe, and it works by breaking down the starches and proteins in the vegetables into sugars and amino acids respectively. By allowing the vegetables to pickle for a short amount of time, the primary flavour of the vegetable remains while extra umami tones, plus. Lotus roots can grow quite long under water and have segments linked like sausages. They are usually sold in shorter, more manageable portions and have become increasingly available at The lotus root is mild tasting with a pleasantly sweet flavor.