This Perfect Shrimp Creole using 21 simple ingredients and 7 easy steps. Learn how to cook delicious meal.
Ingredients of Shrimp Creole
- It’s 1.5 pounds of medium-large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined.
- Prepare 1 of lemon, juiced.
- It’s 2 Tbs. of Cajun seasoning.
- You need 2 Tbs. of olive oil.
- You need 2 Tbs. of butter.
- You need 1.5 cup of seasoned shrimp stock.
- It’s 1 of green bell pepper, chopped.
- It’s 1 of medium yellow onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 of celery stalk, sliced / chopped.
- It’s 2 Tbs. of tomato paste.
- You need 1 (14 oz.) of can of diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1-2 of garlic cloves, mashed.
- You need 1 Tsp. of red pepper flakes.
- You need 1 Tbs. of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 Tsp. of hot sauce (optional).
- You need 1 cup of okra, sliced (optional).
- It’s 1/2 cup of green onions, sliced.
- It’s Dash of cayenne pepper.
- You need Dash of Filé powder (optional).
- It’s 1/3 cup of parsley, finely chopped.
Shrimp Creole instructions
- Prepare the shrimp and reserve the shells / tails. Place shrimp in a colander and rinse. Put the shrimp in a bowl; add lemon juice, mix, and then season the shrimp. Place in the refrigerator..
- Take the shells and tails and place in a small pot with 1.5 cups of water. Add a dash of Cajun or Old Bay seasonings and heat to a near boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the liquid and reserve..
- Place a medium-large sized pot on medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. Swirl the butter and olive oil around in the pot. Let the melted butter foam a bit..
- Add in the “holy trinity” (pepper, onion, & celery), season this, and sauté for 5-6 minutes until slightly wilted. Add the paste, stir to coat the vegetables, and heat for 1 minute..
- Add the shrimp stock, tomatoes (with liquid), bay leaves, garlic, and pepper flakes. Bring this to a slight boil and reduce to a simmer; continue to heat for 15 minutes..
- Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and okra. Continue to cook for 15 minutes. Raise the heat to medium and add the shrimp and cook until they are pink. About 10 minutes. Add the green onions, and carefully stir..
- Turn off the heat; add a bit of cayenne and Filé powder, and cover the pot slightly to keep warm. Serve with white rice, grits, and/or garlic toasted bread. Top the dish off with parsley..