Bicol express. Bicol Express is pure comfort food! With pork cubes cooked in coconut milk and chili peppers, it's rich, creamy, spicy and delicious! Serve with steamed rice for a hearty and big flavored meal!
Bicol Express, known natively in Bikol as sinilihan (lit. 'spiced with chili'), is a popular Filipino dish which was popularized in the district of Malate, Manila but made in traditional Bicolano style. It is a stew made from long chilies (siling mahaba in Tagalog), coconut milk, shrimp paste or stockfish, onion. Bicol Express, as the name implies is a specialty dish from the Bicol region. This Delicious Bicol express using 6 simple ingredients and 6 easy steps. Here is how you cook delicious meal.
Ingredients of Bicol express
- It’s 1 1/2 of cubed pork shoulders.
- It’s 1 of onion diced.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic (minced).
- It’s 1 of serrano pepper/labuyo (or more accdg to spice preferences).
- It’s 3 tbsp of shrimp paste.
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut milk.
It is a dish suited for those who love their food hot. Some Bicolanos sauté hot chili peppers and nothing else and enjoy this. Bicol express is a spicy Filipino stew consisting of bite sized pieces of pork with chilies, coconut milk, shrimp paste (bagoong), onions, tomato and garlic. The dish is named after the train in the Bicol.
Bicol express step by step
- Sauté pork shoulder on a pan set on high heat with continuous mixing until fat browned and fat is rendered. Remove excess oil..
- Add garlic cook until browned and onions until transluscent..
- Add shrimp paste and mix until incorporated with ingredients..
- Pour coconut milk and let it simmer for 5 mins before adding chili. (this is to make sure that the spice is evenly distributed to the ingredients)..
- Continue mixing until sauce thickens depending on your preference. (Some like it with a little sauce, I like it a bit dry.) Don't it will taste great just the same.😊.
- Best served with white steamed rice. Enjoy..
THE TASTIEST & SPICIEST BICOL EXPRESS (exact ingredients below) BICOL EXPRESS is a popular Filipino dish. It is a spicy food made of pork, chilies. Bicol Express is the name given to a popular dish which originated in the Bicol Region of the Philippines. It is a stew made with red hot chilli peppers (siling labuyo in Philippines), coconut milk. Try this Bicol Express Recipe from Bicol.