Cod fish with fries (portuguese Bacalhau à brás). Bacalhau or Portuguese cod fish took us by surprise in Portugal. Our favorite Bacalhau a Bras dish was in Sintra at Incomum Restaurant. Chef Luis Santos of Incomum, puts a creative spin on the dish with the addition of delicious vegetables and with eggs that are lightly battered and fried.
It is a combination of Bacalhau cod pieces mixed together with eggs and olives in a delicious twist of flavors. A classic recipe in Portugal, this bacalhau a bras combines scrambled eggs filled with fried potatoes and shards of salt cod. Rinse the fish and place it in a bowl. You can cook Cod fish with fries (portuguese Bacalhau à brás) using 6 simple ingredients and 7 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve it.
Ingredients of Cod fish with fries (portuguese Bacalhau à brás)
- It’s 1 of Midsize Cod fillet.
- It’s 1 of Onion.
- Prepare 2 of Big potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of Garlic head.
- You need of Parsley.
- Prepare of Olive Oil.
Add enough cold water to cover. Chill overnight, changing the water several times. The next day, drain the fish. Bacalhau à Brás is one of the most famous Portuguese dishes and is considered the ultimate comfort meal in Portugal.
Cod fish with fries (portuguese Bacalhau à brás) step by step
- Keep the cod 48 hours under water before starting to cook yo remove the excess of salt..
- Boil the cod fillet untill it's very soft and fully white. Remove the skin and mince It with a fork (be careful to remove all the spines).
- Cut the potatoes and the onion into thin slices..
- Deep fry the potatoes and save some of the olive oil.
- In a separate pan fry the onion around five minutes, then add the potatoes and the cod..
- Keep frying and smashing the mix untill it gets the same yellow color, should be around 15 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!.
The dish uses many of the quintessential ingredients found in Portuguese cooking: bacalhau (salt cod), eggs, potatoes and black olives. When in Portugal do as the Portuguese do and eat bacalhau (or cod, in Engish). With hundreds of recipes, this is a dish that will never get old. Knowing how integral bacalhau is in Portuguese cuisine may make anyone believe that it is caught off the Portuguese coast, but it's not. The Best Portuguese Cod Fish Recipes on Yummly