Kallumakaya nirachathu (stuffed Mussels). Recipe and method of preparation of Kallumakkaya Nirachathu or Stuffed Mussels in Malabar Style. Kallumakkaya Nirachathu / Spicy stuffed, Steamed & fried Mussels. Clean outside shell of the mussels with the brush to remove all the dirt.
Also called as Kadukka Nirachathu & Arikadukka , as rice is used for making. Stuffed mussels are nothing short of a celebration in Malabar. This crunchy meat snack, locally known as Kallumakkaya Nirachathu is widely popular as one of the tastiest productions from the kitchens of Malabar. You can have Kallumakaya nirachathu (stuffed Mussels) using 13 simple ingredients and 10 simple steps. Here is how you achieve yummy food.
Ingredients of Kallumakaya nirachathu (stuffed Mussels)
- Prepare 1/2 kg of fresh mussels.
- It’s 2 cups of par boiled rice (jeerakashala/kaima).
- Prepare 2 cups of grated fresh coconut.
- Prepare 1 of red onion chopped.
- It’s as needed of few shallots.
- You need 1 tsp of fennel seeds.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need as needed of few curry leaves.
- Prepare as needed of few coriander leaves(optional).
- It’s 3 tbsp of rice flour or as required.
- You need 3 tbsp of kashmiri chilli powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s as needed of coconut oil for frying.
When the Kallumakkaya with the mixture boils, separate the Kallumakkaya from the shell. Heat a pan and pour in some coconut oil. Arikkadukka or stuffed mussels (Kallummakkaya nirachathu as people from Kannur (North Kerala) calls it). In this particular recipe, Mussels are stuffed with a ground rice mixture and then steamed in shell.
Kallumakaya nirachathu (stuffed Mussels) instructions
- Rinse and soak the rice in hot water for 4 hours in advance. Afterwards drain the water thoroughly.Add the fennel,cumin, onion and pulse..
- To a wet grinder add the rice and make paste. Grind coconut and onion mix and grind to a very thick and smooth paste(add very little water to grind). If the mix is little watery add the rice powder and knead..
- Add some coriander leaves chopped for flavour (traditionally it's not added but I like so added) and set aside and clean the mussels..
- Use a clean scouring pad/ knife and clean mussels. Rinse each one under running water,scrape off the barnacles and pull out the beard from the corner(pull firmly to remove it). open the closed mussels by using a small knife..
- Rinse all the mussels from inside under running tap water.Drain them by keeping on sides of a plate..
- After drained, pull a sticky thread from back of it (like prawns). fill in the rice mixture inside the mussels and level out the access..
- Place all of them in a steamer and steam for 25- 30 mins.If the rice mix is left make small rolls out of it and steam(this too can be eaten tastes great).
- When it cools down scrape them out of shell with spoon or one side shell slowly as the meat doesn't separate. take out the steamed dumpling and take of the waste from back of it. take water in a bowl and dip fingers and clean the waste. clean all and keep aside..
- Mix the chilli powder,turmeric powder and salt and water to make a runny spice batter. Dip the steamed mussels in batter and deep /shallow fry..
- Here I have shallow fried. fry all sides well till lightly golden and serve. Hot crispy delicious malabar snack is ready to be enjoyed..
Steam cooked rice is then scooped out of shell. Kallumakkaya nirachathu is my favourite malabar snack. These are rich in flavour,aroma and has its own distinguished taste. For preparing kallumakkaya nirachathu mussels are stuffed with rice flour mixture,steam cook and marinate in a spicy masala and.. Malabar Special Snack от : Zera cookbook Mussels know in Malayalam as Kadukka Nirachathu от : Roshini Hussain Kallumakaya Nirachathu or Stuffed Mussels is one of the #Kallummakkaya# Kallummakkaya Nirachad/ Yummy Mussel Fry/Kallumakkaya Roast Recipe.