Tender Simmered Daikon Radish with Squid.
You can have Tender Simmered Daikon Radish with Squid using 9 simple ingredients and 7 easy steps. Learn how to cook it.
Ingredients of Tender Simmered Daikon Radish with Squid
- It’s 350 grams of Daikon radish.
- Prepare 1 of whole squid Squid.
- It’s 300 ml of Water.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Dashi stock granules.
- You need 1 tbsp of Sugar (light brown sugar).
- It’s 1 tbsp of Sake.
- You need 2 tbsp of Soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of Mirin.
- You need 1 of ＊Thinly sliced ginger (optional).
Tender Simmered Daikon Radish with Squid instructions
- Cut the daikon radish into 2 cm thick round, then cut in half or quarters. You can round the edges if you prefer..
- In a pan, add a little salt (not listed) and water, and boil the daikon radish. Add the daikon radish before boiling. It should be cooked and translucent in about 20 minutes. It is better to boil in the water leftover from rinsing rice..
- This prep is very important for the taste to penetrate into the daikon radish. While the daikon radish is boiling, prepare the squid by removing the guts and the cartilage, then cut into appropriately sized pieces..
- Add water, dashi stock granules, squid, sugar and sake into the pan from Step 2. Skim off the scum until it comes to a boil, about 5 minutes..
- Add soy sauce and mirin and put on a small lid or a piece of aluminium foil that sits right on top of it, and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes. The flavors of the simmering broth here will soak into the daikon radish as it all cools down..
- Calculate the cooking time including the cooling time, before cooking. You would like to cool it for at least 30 minutes. Flip the daikon radish over around halfway through cooling..
- Warm it up before serving and enjoy. You can add and simmer the tentacles with it, deep fry, or toss into a salad..