Moules Marinieres (Sailors Mussels).
This Appetizing Moules Marinieres (Sailors Mussels) using 8 easy ingredients and 9 simple steps. Here is how you achieve this tasty food.
Ingredients of Moules Marinieres (Sailors Mussels)
- It’s 1 of large onion.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves (or 3 if you like strong flavour).
- You need 1 kg of fresh mussels (not greenlipped).
- It’s 200 ml of fresh crisp white wine.
- It’s 1 tsp of plain flour.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper.
- It’s 1 of fresh crusty bread or baguette.
- You need 1 of chopped parsley (optional).
Moules Marinieres (Sailors Mussels) instructions
- Clean the mussels in a sink of water and remove the beards (your fishmonger MAY do this for you but I always do my own). THROW OUT ANY THAT DO NOT CLOSE WHEN YOU TAP THEM SHARPLY (note: I do not use greenlipped mussels as they are tough and chewy the smaller black ones are way better).
- Chop onion and garlic.
- Sautee onion and garlic until soft but do not let it brown.
- Add the mussels to the pan with onion and garlic.
- Pour over the wine. COVER and cook the mussels for about ten minutes until they are all open.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour and butter to a paste.
- Strain the wine into another small pan and boil rapidly then add the butter/flour paste and mix into the liquid. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens (about 3 or 4 mins).
- Optional – sprinkle parsley sprigs onto mussels.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with crusty bread/baguette.