Mussels in Ginger Broth – quick & easy Filipino Nilagang Tahong.
This Delicious Mussels in Ginger Broth – quick & easy Filipino Nilagang Tahong using 12 simple ingredients and 6 simple steps. This is guide how achieve apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Mussels in Ginger Broth – quick & easy Filipino Nilagang Tahong
- You need 500 g of mussels, cleaned well.
- It’s 1/2 Tbsp of Cooking oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, coarsely chopped.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped.
- It’s 1 knob of (1-2 inch size) ginger, sliced.
- It’s 3-5 drops of fish sauce.
- Prepare to taste of Salt & Pepper.
- Prepare of Water.
- Prepare 1 of green chili, whole (optional).
- You need 1 stalk of Green Onions, chopped (optional).
- You need 1 of tomato (optional, gives different taste).
- You need 1 handful of spinach or hot pepper leaves (optional).
Mussels in Ginger Broth – quick & easy Filipino Nilagang Tahong step by step
- Remove beard and clean mussels well with a toothbrush under running water..
- In a pot, heat oil and sauté the onions, garlic and ginger. Add tomato if desired, I prefer none to keep the sea taste in the soup. Mash in pot..
- Once onions are translucent, place 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, drop in mussels, add enough water to reach the mussels on top of the pot (water would depend on your pot size. Less water = more flavour). Season with drops of fish sauce. Sprinkle some fresh ground pepper. Cover..
- Simmer until shells open. Remove any scum rising to the top. Taste and adjust according to desired saltiness and ginger spiciness- use fish sauce, salt, pepper, drop in chili, if desired, add more ginger if needed. Simmer 3 minutes more..
- Discard shells that did not open. These were dead when they were bought, and unsafe to eat..
- Add spinach or pepper leaves if desired. (None added in photo) Garnish with chopped green onions. Stir. Turn off heat and cover to cook leaves in residual heat. Serve and enjoy..