Chemmeen Achar – Kerala Style Prawns Pickle.
This Yummy Chemmeen Achar – Kerala Style Prawns Pickle using 22 simple ingredients and 12 easy steps. This is guide how achieve that.
Ingredients of Chemmeen Achar – Kerala Style Prawns Pickle
- It’s 1 of :- ( marinate and sun dry) Bowl.
- You need 1/2 kg of Shrimp / Chemmeen – ( fresh or cooked).
- Prepare 1 of chili powder tea Kashmiri red – spoon.
- Prepare pinch of Turmeric powder – a large.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- It’s of Oil for frying.
- Prepare 2 of :- Bowl.
- You need 2 of chili powder tea Red – spoon ( use as per your heat level).
- Prepare 1/4 of Turmeric tea powder – spoon.
- It’s 2 of Vinegar – table spoon.
- It’s 1/4 of pepper tea Crushed – spoon ( optional).
- You need 3 of :- Bowl.
- You need 1 of Mustard seeds tea – spoon.
- Prepare 1/2 1/4 of Fenugreek seeds tea tea – spoon or powder – spoon.
- You need 8 cloves of Garlic sliced – – 10.
- You need 2 of Ginger tea sliced – spoon.
- Prepare 1 or 2 of Green chili sliced -.
- It’s 2 – 3 of Curry leaves – strings.
- You need pinch of kaayam Hing / – a large.
- It’s 2 of Vinegar – table spoon ( optional).
- Prepare 2 or 3 of Gingelly oil Nalenna / – table spoon.
- You need to taste of Salt.
Chemmeen Achar – Kerala Style Prawns Pickle instructions
- If using fresh shrimp, clean, devein it and wash it thoroughly. I used frozen cooked salad shrimp, so i just thawed it overnight in the fridge..
- Marinate it with all other ingredients in Bowl 1, arrange it on a tray or cookie sheet and leave it open in the sun for a day or two. I keep it from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm for nearly 2 days. Every evening take it inside,leave it on your counter top, covered or uncovered..
- So if you don't wanna wait till then, marinate the shrimp, keep it for some time and the fry it. (See notes @ the end to see other options).
- When your ready to make it, fry the shrimp in oil. You can either deep fry or shallow fry it.But i prefer deep frying for this. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Grind all the ingredients in Bowl 2 to a fine paste. Sprinkle a table spoon of water if necessary..
- Heat some oil from the fried shrimp pan, or you can use nalenna / sesame oil for this step..
- Add mustard seeds,when they splutter add fenugreek seeds. (if using fenugreek powder use at the end of cooking).
- Slide in chopped ginger, garlic,green chiles and curry leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium flame till the raw smell disappears. Add the Bowl 2 – chili paste and mix well. Sprinkle 1/4 cup water and bring to boil……
- Stir in the fried Prawns and combine well, Saute for 3-4 minutes, till it is heated through (add fenugreek powder if you are using it now) Give a salt check. Switch off the flame. Let it cool..
- When it is in room temperature add hing and 2 more table spoon of vinegar (optional) and mix well..
- My mom leave it on the stove top for a day and then transfer it into glass jars..
- Pour 2 or 3 table spoons of Nalenna/ Gingelly oil over it and keep outside for a day or two and then keep refrigerated..