Surati undhiyu. Undhiyu, matla undhiyu, Kathiyawadi undhiyu and the version we have made which is surti As this undhiyu is cooked in pressure cooker, this recipe doesn't take much time. Hi friends, presenting you the most awaited dish Surti Undhiyu Recipe by Chef Poonam Panchal. The main highlight of this dish is the masala which is stuffed.
Undhiyu is a Gujarati mixed vegetable dish that is a regional specialty of Surat, India. The name of this dish comes from the Gujarati word "undhu", which translates to upside down, since the dish is traditionally cooked upside down underground in earthen pots. For Making Surti Undhiyu, do not cut the potatoes and brinjals into cubes instead slit and stuff them Make Surti or Kathyawadi undhiyu recipe using less oil in a pressure cooker. This Delicious Surati undhiyu using 41 simple ingredients and 14 easy steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Surati undhiyu
- It’s 150 grams of surti papdi / surti papdi and valor papdi 1/2 cup fresh pigeon peas (fresh tuvar).
- Prepare 8-10small of baingan (brinjals).
- Prepare 150-200 grams of baby potatoes.
- You need 100 grams of sweet potato.
- Prepare 1medium large of grams raw banana.
- It’s 150 grams of purple yam (kand).
- Prepare of for methi muthia:.
- You need 1 cup of methi leaves (fresh fenugreek leaves) – finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 pinch of baking soda.
- You need 1 cup of besan (gram flour).
- It’s 1 Tsp of sesame seeds (safed til).
- It’s 1 Tbsp of ginger + green chilli paste.
- Prepare 1/4 Tsp of turmeric powder (haldi).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of red chilli powder (lal mirch powder).
- You need 1/4 tsp of cumin powder (jeera powder).
- You need 1/4 tsp of coriander powder (dhania powder).
- Prepare 1 tsp of oil.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar or add as required.
- You need 1/2tsp of salt or add as required.
- It’s 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp of water or as required.
- Prepare of for green masala.
- It’s 1 cup of tightly packed grated coconut.
- You need 3 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves OR ¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves.
- It’s 2 tbsp of sesame seeds (safed til).
- Prepare 1/4 tbsp of ginger paste.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of garlic paste.
- It’s 1 tbsp of green chilli paste OR 2 to 3 green chilies crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle.
- Prepare 1/4 tbsp of turmeric powder (haldi).
- You need 1/2 tbsp of red chilli powder (lal mirch powder).
- It’s 3 tbsp of coriander powder (dhania powder).
- It’s 2 tbsp of cumin powder (jeera powder).
- It’s 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sugar or add as per taste.
- You need 1 tbsp of salt or add as required.
- It’s of for tempering undhiyu.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ajwain (carom seeds).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds (jeera).
- It’s Pinch of asafoetida (hing) OR 2 to 3 pinches of asafoetida.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 4-5 tbsp of sesame oil or peanut oil or any oil.
Surti Undhiyu is a special mixed vegetable dish, which is prepared with whole and ground spices. This main dish recipe is made in stages and has a lip-smacking taste that you will. Surati Oondhiyu is one of the best Western Indian curries that I've ever tasted. This is not only about mixed vegetables, its about a delicious blend of vegetables as well Surati Undhiyu.
Surati undhiyu instructions
- String and pod the surti papdi beans. i used half-half of surti papdi (hyacinth beans) and valor papdi (fava beans). after stringing them and halving them, rinse very well. strain and keep aside. i used 150 grams of beans which yielded 2 cups stringed.
- In a bowl of water, peel, rinse and place the other veggies – 10 to 12 baby potatoes, 1 medium sweet potato, 2 cups chopped purple yam. also keep 8 to 10 small brinjals. note that the only the upper stalk of the brinjals have been removed and they have not been slit. you can also just rinse and keep the brinjals aside…
- Preparing methi muthia for undhiyu recipe: take 1 cup tightly packed methi leaves, finely chopped and 1 cup besan or gram flour in a mixing bowl.add a pinch of baking soda, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tbsp oil, ¾ to 1 tsp sugar or jeggry add as required, ½ tsp salt or add as required and 1 tbsp lemon juice.just mix everything and keep aside covered for 10 to 15 minutes..
- Then add 1 to 1.5 tbsp water and mix really well. keep the mixture slightly sticky, so that the methi muthia remains soft after cooking. apply some oil in your palms and shape the muthias. keep aside covered with a bowl or lid. if you want you can also deep fry methi muthia. if fried then add lastly once the undhiyu is done and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes…
- Making green masala mixture for undhiyu: take tightly packed grated coconut and finely chopped coriander leaves, ginger, garlic cloves and green chilies. grind all three of them together. if using ready paste then add ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilli paste…
- Now add sesame seeds, ginger paste, garlic paste green chilli paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, 2 tsp cumin powder, lemon juice, sugar, salt. Methi, mix very well and then check the taste. add more lemon juice, salt or sugar if required…..
- Stuffing veggies: from the base, give a criss cross slit to the brinjals and stuff the masala in it. in the same way also, stuff the masala in the potatoes too. if you want you can stuff the masala in the raw bananas also.(If u are using banana)keep the stuffed veggies aside. some stuffing masala will be left. keep this aside..
- Cooking undhiyu: heat goroundnut oil in a pressure cooker. add ajwain or carom seeds & cumin seeds. stir and fry the ajwain and cumin seeds till they change their colour. after a few seconds. now add the stringed and podded beans. if you are using fresh pigeon peas, you can add them at this step..
- Stir well.to preserve the green colour of the beans you can add a pinch of soda. If you want..i didnt add. again stir very well and saute for 3 minutes on a low to medium flame. then make a meat layer of the beans at the bottom..
- Then place the chopped purple yam in a meat layer. then make another layer of chopped raw bananas and sweet potato. now sprinkle masala evenly. don't stir. make a next layer of stuffed brinjals and potatoes. And water from the sides. don't stir..
- Now gently place the prepared methi muthia in a layer. sprinkle of salt all over. cover the pressure cooker with it's lid and pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 whistles or for 10 to15 minutes..
- When the pressure settles down on it's own, remove the lid and gently mix everything without breaking the stuffed veggies..
- While serving if you want, you can garnish undhiyu with chopped coriander leaves or some grated coconut. serve undhiyu with pooris. So the surati undhiyu is ready to serve…
- So surti undhiyu is ready to serve..
Surti undhiyu recipe – a traditional Gujarati style of making mixed vegetable curry.
To make this undhiyu restaurant style, deep fry all the veggies one by one except papadi. Served with puri, Surti Undhiyu is a winter speciality. Here's the recipe: How to make Methi Muthiya Ingredients. Easy Undhiyu – Mixed vegetable casserole with a medley of veggies cooked in earthy spices, ginger and chilies cooked effortlessly in the Instant Pot.