Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes). Nikujaga quite literally translates to "meat and potatoes" – niku means "meat" and jaga means "potatoes" in Japanese. It's a comfort food and the Japanese version of beef stew. The beef in Nikujaga is added more for flavor than substance.
Enjoy a Japanese hearty winter warmer with this nikujaga meat and potato stew. Nikujaga is made from thinly sliced beef stewed with potato and onions in a slightly sweet soy Continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced, then your nikujaga is ready to enjoy. Serve with freshly boiled white rice. You can have Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) using 10 simple ingredients and 6 easy steps. Learn how to achieve yummy food.
Ingredients of Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes)
- You need 6 of potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 1 of carrot.
- It’s 200 g of sliced beef or pork (ground meat is also ok.).
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 6 tbsp of sake.
- It’s 4 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 4 tbsp of mirin.
- It’s 6 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 4 cup of dashi.
Home » International Foods » Nikujaga – Japanese Simmered Beef and Potatoes. The Japanese navy chefs were ordered to create a version of beef stew that the British Royal Navy were eating! Literally Nikujaga means meat and potatoes. Niku is meat and jaga is the short form of Jagaimo, which means potatoes.
Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) step by step
- Cut the potatoes and soak into water for a while. Slice onion. Cut carrot and beef into bite-size. 2. Add olive oil to the flying pan and sauté beef. 3. Add onion, carrot, and potato without water and sauté them. 4. Add dashi, sake and sugar. Simmer it for 5 minutes. 5. Skim the scum. Add mirin and soy sauce. 6. Place the paper towel directly on the food and simmer it for 25 minutes..
- Add olive oil to the flying pan and sauté beef..
- Add onion, carrot, and potato and sauté them..
- Add dashi, sake and sugar. Simmer it for 5 minutes..
- Skim the scum. Add mirin and soy sauce..
- Place the paper towel directly on the food and simmer it for 25 minutes..
Basically the meat and potatoes are stewed in soy sauce which has been sweetened with mirin and sugar. Literally "meat and potatoes", the recipe for nikujaga could be considered Japan's answer to spaghetti bolognese. A light, simmered dish of meat, potatoes and a few other ingredients, every family will make its own version and have its own opinion on how nikujaga "should" be made. Löydä HD-arkistokuvia ja miljoonia muita rojaltivapaita arkistovalokuvia, -kuvituskuvia ja -vektoreita Shutterstockin kokoelmasta hakusanalla Nikujaga Simmered Meat Potatoes Healthy Japanese. Tuhansia uusia ja laadukkaita kuvia joka päivä.