Sausage and Seafood Gumbo. Every good gumbo starts with mixture of butter and flour called a roux. In this time, you should be stirring somewhat constantly. It's very easy to burn a roux, and if you do then you have to start oveR.
How to make Seafood, Chicken, and Andouille Sausage Gumbo. My mom's parents came from Baton Rouge, so with that being said… As much as I love seafood, chicken, and sausage gumbo I usually only make it during the holidays or for other special occasions. How to make Seafood And Sausage Gumbo – prep & cook time, serving size, nutritional info, ingredients. This Tasty Sausage and Seafood Gumbo using 23 easy ingredients and 21 simple steps. Here is how you achieve this tasty food.
Ingredients of Sausage and Seafood Gumbo
- Prepare 4 of small onion, diced (about 2 cups).
- Prepare 6 of celery stalks, diced.
- It’s 2 of green bell peppers, diced.
- You need 16 oz of okra, sliced (frozen is fine).
- It’s 2 tsp of salt.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of cayenne.
- Prepare 1 tsp of whit pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of oregano.
- It’s 1 tsp of thyme.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves, minced.
- It’s 1 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 cup of flour.
- It’s 6 cups of seafood stock (chicken is fine too).
- Prepare 1 lb of andouille sausage.
- You need 1 lb of shrimp, peeled.
- Prepare 6 oz of crab meat, cleaned (or finely diced chicken).
- You need 6 oz of oysters in liquor, roughly diced.
- You need 1/4 cup of parsley, minced.
- You need 2 of green onions, sliced.
- It’s 2 tsp of gumbo filé.
- It’s of Hot steamed rice.
Sausage and Seafood Gumbo recipe: This is a relatively easy gumbo recipe that is delicious. Optional: Gumbo is traditionally thickened in two ways, the first being the ocra added during cooking. Shrimp Gumbo is like a trip to New Orleans without the plane ticket. Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo (aka Gumbo Ya Ya)Sunset and Sewanee.
Sausage and Seafood Gumbo instructions
- Prepare the onions, celery, bell pepper, and okra in a bowl..
- Add the spices into a small bowl..
- In a skillet, brown the sausage over high heat. If you bought fully cooked sausage, skip this step and go directly to making roux.
- Once the sausages are browned, remove them and place on a plate to cool. Don't worry if they're still raw inside..
- Deglaze the pan with a little stock and add it back to the main stock..
- Prepare the roux by adding the oil to a heavy stock pot over high heat..
- When the oil begins smoking sprinkle the flour and begin to whisk the mixture..
- Continue whisking. Do not walk away or your roux will burn. You are looking for a deep red brown color. Be very careful, splashing the roux will severely burn you..
- It's beginning to take color..
- Almost there..
- That's about good. Took roughly 10 minutes..
- Reduce heat to medium and add half of the vegetables, dumping away from you to prevent splashing..
- Stir and cook the veggies for 2 minutes..
- Add the remaining veggies, spices, and garlic. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove the roux from heat..
- Bring the stock to simmer in a large pot..
- Add the roux a spoonful at a time, stirring in between so it's not lumpy..
- Bring the soup to a simmer. Cut the sausage into chunks and add to the gumbo. If you're using chicken, add it here too..
- Simmer for 20 min, or longer to suit your schedule..
- Add the shrimp, crab, and oysters. Cook until the shrimp are pink or about 3 minutes.
- Add the parsley, green onion, and gumbo filé. Stir and serve over hot rice..
It received rave reviews from the whole family. The best seafood gumbo I have ever had. Seafood & Sausage Gumbo homemade by Hương Vào Bếp. Recipe: Thyme Paprika Minced garlic Parsley flakes Bay leaves Cayenne pepper Seafood( Shrimp, Crab,Squid). When I came across chicken Andouille sausage gumbo, I knew I had to give it a try and share with you the delicious results.