Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp. Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish made "dirty" by cooking the rice with minced livers or gizzards. By cooking the brown rice separate, the texture of the rice was perfect when mixed with the beef and shrimp and made a delicious main dish even my "non-brown rice eating" husband enjoyed. Typically, in this popular Acadian classic, it's chopped chicken livers and ground meat that make the rice look "dirty." For our special version, we'v.
Saute onions in shortening, add shrimp and cook until brown. Add garlic, green onions, parsley, salt, red pepper and water. This Cajun Dirty Rice has been a staple in our house for over a decade, and I am finally sharing it with you because it's a delicious and easy one pan meal! You can cook Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp using 15 simple ingredients and 7 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp
- You need 1 1/2 cups of uncooked brown rice (I used instant).
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups of Chicken broth.
- Prepare 2 of Bay leaves, divided.
- Prepare 1/8 of + 1/4 tsp Cayenne, divided.
- Prepare 1/8 of + 1/2 tsp Paprika, divided.
- You need 1/8 of + 1/2 tsp Thyme, divided.
- You need 1 tsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of onion, diced.
- You need 2 of celery, diced.
- It’s 1 of Green pepper, diced.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of 97% lean ground beef.
- It’s 1 lb of medium shrimp, peeled & deveined.
- It’s 2 of scallions (optional).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
In my quest to deliver the tastiest food to you I am absolutely determined to get the dishes out that have been tested and approved by my family. While brown rice doesn't scream excitement, there's not a more hearty and satisfying rice. Unmilled, or whole grain, brown rice has a nutty taste and chewier texture than white rice. Dirty Brown Rice With Shrimp. brown rice. shrimp. chicken bouillon cubes.
Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp instructions
- Cook brown rice according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for the water. Add 1 bay leaf, and the 1/8 tsp of Cayenne, Paprika, and Thyme. Stir and cook..
- When rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy sauce pan on medium heat. Add oil, onions, green pepper, celery, and bay leaf. Sauté on medium heat until soft, adding the garlic about a minute before done..
- Add beef, salt, pepper, and remaining Thyme, Paprika, and Cayenne. Sauté until browned..
- Add shrimp and cover. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until shrimp is done..
- When rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp mixture and combine well..
- Top with scallions (optional).
Where's the full recipe – why can I only see the ingredients?. Dirty Brown Rice With Shrimp, Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice, Shrimp And Broccoli Curry With Quinoa And Brown Rice. This shrimp dish was something I threw together one night and my family loved it. On a quest for a new shrimp dish once a week.this recipe was a delight! I added onion and also used cilantro.