Basic Congee (Chinese Porridge). Congee is Chinese rice porridge, which can be served plain, sweet, or savory. Here are three ways to cook this classic dish. Congee is often served with Chinese crullers (youtiao, 油條), which are fried dough, that you dip into the congee.
It gets umami flavor from dried shrimp, dried scallops, and shiitake mushrooms. The word congee derives from Tamil, and different Asian cultures have their own version of this delectable, often savory, rice porridge. This simple congee rice porridge recipe is made from chicken stock, rice and fresh ginger. This Yummy Basic Congee (Chinese Porridge) using 19 easy ingredients and 3 simple steps. This is guide how cook it.
Ingredients of Basic Congee (Chinese Porridge)
- It’s of Congee.
- Prepare of Step 1 Simple Chicken Broth.
- You need 1 of Chicken.
- You need 1 tbsp of Chicken Granules/powder.
- Prepare 1 of big yellow onion – chopped big.
- It’s 6 of garlic – crushed.
- Prepare 8 of big slices of garlic.
- Prepare of Coriander roots – see pic.
- You need of Step 2 Rice Congee.
- Prepare 3 C of Rice – Soaked.
- It’s 6 C of water.
- It’s of Congee Accompaniments.
- Prepare of Sesame oil (drizzle over served congee).
- You need of Ground white pepper (opt).
- You need of Finely chopped coriander.
- You need of Shreaded chicken.
- You need of Peanuts.
- It’s of Fried mixed onions.
- You need of Fried anchovies.
Basic Chinese Congee. © Todd Porter & Diane Cu. Some people like a thin porridge. So, I thought I might share this basic part of making Asian rice porridge using white rice. So easy to make, affordable, and healthy.
Basic Congee (Chinese Porridge) step by step
- Prepare step 1 by cleaning chicken in & out. Stuff chicken cavity with 3 crushed garlic and 4 big slices of ginger. Put everything in & Cover chicken with enough water (not too much). Boil over high heat. Once boiled, let it boil for at least 5mins. Season to taste. Then turn the heat to low and let the chicken simmer for 30mins. After 30mins take the chicken out to dry. Off the heat. Leave broth in the pot. Below: coriander roots.
- Clean & soak rice for 10mins or more. Then add water and cook over high heat until it boils. Let it boils for good 10mins or until water recedes until half of the original level/almost dry. Stir in between. Add water if necessary. Turn heat to low. Using sieve, pour chicken broth into this pot. Simmer until congee is thick with starchy consistency. The grains should be starchy NOT WATERY. Adjust consistency accordingly. Taste. It should taste subtle as congee is usually served with other things..
- Serve congee in a bowl and drizzle with SESAME STREET, it really does make a different. Congee Accompaniments are usually based on one preferences. Here are few of the suggestions. Some serve salted tofu, salted fish or black beans, chopped vegies, meat slices etc etc..
Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free. # So I learned about congee from my Chinese side of the family. Simmer for an hour and a half, done. Congee, one type of rice porridge is one of the most popular staple food in lots of Asian countries, sometimes also served as breakfast. Congee can directly be served as a meal with other stir-fry dishes in summer days. We usually eat congee across the summer.