NIKUJAGA (Meat and Potato Stew). Cook snow peas in boiling water for a minute. I call it stew but Japanese Meat and Potato Stew is nowhere near the Western style stew. The cooking liquid is based on the usual Japanese It is perhaps closer to Irish stew with Japanese style broth.
My quick Nikujaga recipe comes together Instead of including big chunks of meat, the beef in this stew is sliced thinly. This was probably done initially to cut back on the cost of the stew, but it. Nikujaga translates literally to meat and potato. This Perfect NIKUJAGA (Meat and Potato Stew) using 13 easy ingredients and 7 easy steps. Learn how to cook this tasty food.
Ingredients of NIKUJAGA (Meat and Potato Stew)
- It’s 150 of g(5.3oz-) Sliced Beef.
- Prepare 4-5 of Potato.
- You need 1/2 of Carrot.
- It’s 1 of Onion.
- You need 8 of Green beans.
- Prepare 150 of g(5.3oz) SHIRATAKI (konjac noodles).
- You need 2 TBSP of Salad Oil.
- It’s 400 ml of (about 13 and 1/3oz) Water.
- Prepare 10 cm of KONBU.
- You need Handful of KATUOBUSHI Bonito Flakes.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of Soy sauce.
- You need 4 tbsp of Sugar.
- It’s 3 tbsp of mirin.
It can best be described as a Japanese beef stew recipe. It is a hearty winter dish that will be sure to. With winter coming faster than expected, nothing beats good ol' meat and potatoes. Try this easy recipe for the Japanese version, known as nikujaga.
NIKUJAGA (Meat and Potato Stew) step by step
- First of all. To prepare the SHIRATAKI, Rinse and drain well. and Boil for 3 minutes, drain and cut into easy to eat length. set aside..
- To make the DASHI soup stock, Put Water and KONBU in a Pot, and Boil it. Remove from the heat. Add KATSUOBUSHI Bonito Flakes. Strain the DASHI soup stock through a Strainer..
- Cut Potato into 4-6 pieces and soak in water. Cut carrots in rolling edges. Cut Onion into 1 cm slices. Cut Green beans into 5cm. and Cut Beef into about 5cm..
- In a Large Pot, Stir-fry the beef with salad oil until no longer red. Add Potato, Carrot, Onion and Stir-fry until translucent at the potato edges..
- Add the DASHI soup stock. Bring to a boil over low-medium heat. Skim off any foamy scum. Add Soy sauce, Sugar, MIRIN. Simmer for about 15 minutes until vegetables are tender..
- Add SHIRATAKI and Green beans. Simmer for about 5 minutes..
- Now, It's ready to be served!! Note: NIKUJAGA tastes better the next day too..
Nikujaga (Japanese: 肉じゃが) literally means "meat and potatoes", from two of the main ingredients niku (meat) and jagaimo (potatoes). Unlike Western stews, the simmering time is much shorter because nikujaga uses thinly sliced meat. Beef is commonly used for this dish but in. Home » Main Ingredient » Beef recipes » Nikujaga (Japanese meat and potato stew). Nikujaga is a very traditional Japanese beef stew with sweet and salty flavors.