Katsudon or could be oyako don – Japanese staple dish.
You can cook Katsudon or could be oyako don – Japanese staple dish using 7 easy ingredients and 4 simple steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve yummy food.
Ingredients of Katsudon or could be oyako don – Japanese staple dish
- Prepare 1/2 of yellow onion.
- Prepare 1 of tonkatsu (1/2 if big) or 1 thighs.
- It’s 2 of good quality eggs.
- Prepare 1 table spoon of dashi powder.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of mirin.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of shoyu (soy sauce).
- It’s 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.
Katsudon or could be oyako don – Japanese staple dish instructions
- Slice onion. In a pan, heat 1/2 cup water and add dashi and mirin. When boiled, add onion and cook low heat for 10 minutes. Add sugar and shoyu. Taste and add more shoyu if needed..
- Cut the tonkatsu bite size and place on top of the onion and cook a few minutes. Many Asian supermarket sells tonkatsu. This is panko breaded fried pork. For oyako don, replace this with chicken thighs. Cook for 5 minutes till chicken is cooked..
- In a bowl, mix eggs very roughly and pour over the tonkatsu. Rise to medium heat for 20 seconds then high heat for 20-30 seconds till eggs look 70% cooked. Stop the heat..
- Put one cup rice in a bowl. Carefully top the katsu/egg on the rice. Try to slide from the pot on top of the rice. Sprinkle hichimi (Japanese seven spice chilli powder).