Fried catfish. Fried catfish is a Southern tradition, along with buttermilk hush puppies and buttermilk coleslaw. Fried cat fish conjures thoughts of finger-licking goodness and crispy crunch in every bite. When I bought these fish fillets at the market, my intention was to bake them with garlic and salt.
Pour the buttermilk into another shallow dish. How to Make Southern Fried Catfish This soul food staple is a simple and easy recipe to make any night of the the week. Southern Fried Catfish is an iconic southern fish recipe. You can cook Fried catfish using 8 simple ingredients and 5 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to cook it.
Ingredients of Fried catfish
- It’s of catfish cut into strips.
- It’s of Approximately 3 cups buttermilk.
- You need of eggs.
- It’s of Creole seasoning.
- You need of Corn meal.
- Prepare of Flour.
- You need of Baking powder.
- Prepare of Veg oil for frying.
Made of a few simple ingredients, fried catfish makes a family favorite tradition! Growing up, I loved to go fishing with my Daddy. Perfectly fried, Southern-style catfish — whether cooked at a fish shack, at a Saturday night fish fry, or Catfish seems to have a bad reputation. Some say it tastes rather fishy while others just say it.
Fried catfish step by step
- Soak strips in buttermilk overnight.
- Mix flour and baking powder together.
- Mix eggs and 1 cup buttermilk in bowl.
- Mix corn meal and Creole seasoning.
- Dredge in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then corn meal. Fry in vegetable oil til golden brown.
Southerners know that fried catfish is the other white meat! Southerners love a good "mess" of fish and catfish is a favorite in the South. This post may contain affiliate links. Dredge catfish in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess. This is the only way I've ever had catfish.