Soft shell blue crab. Soft-shell crab is a culinary term for crabs that have recently molted their old exoskeleton and are still soft. Soft-shells are removed from the water as soon as they molt to prevent any hardening of their shell. Blue Crab Trading takes pride in our product and strives for satisfaction.
After each crab have molted, they are quickly removed from the tank to stop the shell. Soft shell crabs are prepared by first cutting out the gills, face, and guts. The crab is then battered in flour, egg, and seasoning, then fried in oil until crispy. This Perfect Soft shell blue crab using 9 easy ingredients and 4 easy steps. Learn how to cook apetizing meal.
Ingredients of Soft shell blue crab
- You need of Soft shell blue crab.
- You need of eggs (room temp).
- It’s of butter milk.
- Prepare of Cajun season.
- It’s of Salt/ pepper.
- Prepare of self rising flour.
- You need of Old Bay seasoning.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of Peanut or vegetable oil.
The result can be served as an entre', or in a sandwich. Soft shell crabs are a treat whether fried, broiled, or grilled. There are specific considerations to remember when buying them. Contrary to popular belief, soft shell crabs aren't a separate species; they are just regular, hard shell crabs (most often blue crabs in the US) at a particular stage of growth.
Soft shell blue crab instructions
- Rinse off blue crab and place on paper towel to drain. Crack both eggs in a bowl and add buttermilk. Add Cajun seasoning and mix. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn on stove to medium heat and allow oil to heat up. Preferably in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom pan..
- Add flour and remainder of seasoning into paper bag and shake to blend together..
- Add blue crab to flour. Dust off excess and add to egg mixture. Cover completely in egg. Add back to the bag of seasoned flour. Cover entire crab in flour. Add a pinch of flour to see if oil is ready to fry if it’s bubbling when the flour is added, it ready, if not allow oil to continue to heat. You may need to turn the heat up slightly above medium….
- Fry until golden. Take out and drain excess oil on paper towel while you prepare to make your Po boy sandwich.
Soft Shell Blue Crab. ( Mediuim Size). Product Description: Small in size but big in taste; these blue crabs caught just after molting (before the new shell has had time to harden) are prepared as soft shell crabs. Pity even more the soft-shell blue crab, which has shed its protective shell during the growing months of roughly May through September, so that it can form a Like most shellfish, dead crabs decompose rapidly as marine bacteria break down the flesh, eventually producing an unpleasant ammonia odor. Clean soft shell crabs by first cutting off the eyes with kitchen shears across face of the crab. Soft-shell crab season is typically from early March to late September, depending on the weather. "The season always starts in Florida, works its way up the Atlantic Coast to Maryland and then back down again, finishing the season back in Florida," Ingber says.