Mamma's Seafood Gumbo. My mama makes the best gumbo I have ever tasted. I haven't known anyone who didn't think this was the best!! It does not require a roux, as many gumbo recipes do.
A recipe for Cajun seafood gumbo: A dark roux gumbo with shrimp, fish and either crab or smoked Where most seafood gumbos revolve around a peanut butter-colored roux, include tomatoes, are. This delightful Seafood Gumbo is full of shrimp and crab and it has a nice spicy kick. Making a big pot of gumbo is a little labor intensive, but it lasts for days and only gets better with time. You can have Mamma's Seafood Gumbo using 18 easy ingredients and 29 simple steps. Learn how to achieve this tasty food.
Ingredients of Mamma's Seafood Gumbo
- Prepare of celery.
- It’s of bell pepper.
- It’s of rice.
- It’s of yellow onion.
- Prepare of Chappell Hill sausage.
- You need of shrimp.
- Prepare of gumbo crabs.
- Prepare of crawfish tails.
- You need of vegetable oil.
- You need of flour.
- It’s of chicken thighs.
- You need of chicken bouillon cubes.
- You need of gumbo filé.
- Prepare of garlic powder on hand.
- It’s of chicken rub on hand.
- You need of bay leaves on hand.
- It’s of regular salt on hand.
- You need of seasoned salt on hand.
All reviews seafood huge portions food is excellent soulfood spicy order. Their Gumbo is as good as anywhere and spicy. The orders are prepaired on the spot hot and fresh. Seafood Gumbo is perhaps the most coveted dish during the holiday seasons for endless reasons.
Mamma's Seafood Gumbo instructions
- Start of chicken prep: Cut 6 chicken breasts into small- to medium-sized chunks. Be sure to cut away fat. Rinse in cold water..
- Season chicken chunks with Chicken Rub..
- Place chicken in pot filled with 7 cups of water. Add 3 cubes of chicken bouillon. Bring to boil with medium heat on stovetop (degrees may vary based on stovetop). Add garlic powder and stir; season to taste. Cook for 30 minutes. End of chicken prep..
- Start of roux prep: Clean 5 sticks of celery in cold water. Cut roots and leaves..
- Grind celery in food processor, blender, or by hand (your preference)..
- Remove stem and seeds from bell pepper. Rinse in cold water..
- Grind bell pepper in food processor, blender, or by hand (your preference). Mix in with celery..
- Remove outer skin of yellow onion. Cut onion in half (use only one half)..
- Grind onion. Mix in with celery and bell pepper..
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil to skillet. Throw chopped vegetables to skillet to medium heat..
- Crush 10 Bay Leaves with hand. Add leaves to vegetables; stir in..
- Add 4 tablespoons of gumbo filé to vegetables; stir in..
- Add 1/2 cups of flour to vegetables; stir in..
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth from boiled chicken to vegetables; stir in. Cook for a total of 15 minutes. End of roux prep..
- Start of combining ingredients: Transfer chicken (with broth) and roux to stock pot; stir together..
- Add 6 WHOLE Bay leaves to pot..
- Add seasoned salt to taste..
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to pot..
- Reduce heat to medium-low after 10 minutes..
- Rinse ice from crabs with cold water. Add to pot..
- Cut Chappell Hill sausage link into thin individual pieces. Add to pot..
- Rinse shrimp with cold water to remove ice. Add to pot..
- Add Crawfish tails to pot (if they're frozen blocks, that's ok; they will melt down)..
- Cook ingredients in stock pot for 1 hour and 30 minutes on medium-high heat. End of combining ingredients..
- Start of rice prep: Add 8 cups of water to a pot. Add 1 tablespoon of margarine. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat..
- Rinse 4 cups of rice with cold water for 30 seconds. Add to boiling water. Stir once. Reduce heat to medium after 5 minutes. Reduce to low heat after 15 minutes. Cook til water evaporates and rice is soft; approximately 20 minutes. End of rice prep..
- Serve gumbo over rice and enjoy!.
- BONUS 1: If you desire a stronger gumbo taste, mix in more gumbo filé until satisfied..
- BONUS 2: If you desire a more "gooey" texture, add about 1/2 pound of thinly sliced ocra to the roux..
I hope you guys enjoyed this video. please leave a comment if you have any questions. thanks for watching. Better than any restaurant gumbo I've ever had. They both use bacon fat/grease for their roux which adds a smoky undertone and imparts lots of flavor. All info on Mama's Seafood in Gulfport – Call to book a table. View the menu, check prices, find on the map, see photos and ratings.