OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】. Okonomiyaki (literally means 'grilled as you like it') is a savory version of Japanese pancake, made with flour, eggs, shredded cabbage, meat/ protein and topped with a variety of condiments. Better known as 'Japanese pizza' in the US. Okonomiyaki – Japanese savoury pancake containing loads of shredded cabbage topped with egg Jump to Recipe Print Recipe.
You can now make this savory Japanese pancake at home with my detailed video & instructions. All you need is flour, eggs, shredded cabbage, or your choice of protein. Make it vegetarian if you like. You can have OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】 using 20 easy ingredients and 12 easy steps. Follow these simple steps to achieve this tasty food.
Ingredients of OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】
- It’s 250 g (8.8 oz) of thin sliced pork belly.
- You need 400 g (14 oz) of cabbage, about 1/2 heads.
- Prepare 6 stalks of scallion.
- It’s 40 g (1.4 oz) of red pickled ginger.
- Prepare 10 leaves of perilla leaf.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- Prepare of oil for frying.
- You need of Okonomi-yaki batter.
- Prepare 200 ml (6.8 fl oz) of boiled water.
- You need 2 tsp of Japanese soup stock (dashi), granule type.
- Prepare 200 g of (7 oz, 1.6 cups) cake flour.
- You need 1.5 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 2 tsp of dried bonito powder (optional).
- It’s 150 g (5.3 oz) of Japanese yam.
- It’s of Topping (adjust to suit your taste).
- You need of okonomiyaki sauce (savory pancake sauce, It's kind of similar to barbecue sauce.).
- Prepare of mayonnaise.
- It’s of dried green nori flakes.
- It’s of dried bonito flakes.
- It’s of 1cup=235cc(USA).
Once you've got a few Japanese staples in your pantry (all of which have a shelf life of forever), making it at home is cheap, quick, easy, filling, and Okonomi means "how you want it," and an okonomiyaki is one of the world's most infinitely adaptable dishes. The shredded or chopped cabbage in the base. Okonomiyaki, sometimes called Japanese pizza or Japanese pancake, is one of the best dishes to make if you're a beginner japanese cook. It exposes you to a lot of classic Japanese ingredients, but it is very easy to make well and is very flexible in terms of what you put in the okonomiyaki.
OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】 step by step
- ★Recipe video★ (my You Tube channel)→https://youtu.be/u59j7GmSckc.
- 【For Okonomiyaki batter】Put 200 ml (6.8 fl oz) boiled water in a bowl and add Japanese soup stock, stir well. Put the bowl in water to cool down; set aside. Mix roughly cake flour, baking powder, and dried bonito powder; set aside..
- Grate Japanese yam into a large bowl. Pour the prepared stock in it while stirring. Sift dry ingredients over it..
- Mix well until smooth. Let it sit in a fridge for 3 hours or more to bring out the ''umami''(savory taste) of the flour..
- 【Prepare other ingredients. 】Chop cabbage into about 1 cm (0.4'') square. Chop the core of cabbage into fine pieces. Cut stalks scallion into small pieces. (You should wipe off moisture after you wash vegetables, before cutting them.).
- Cut leaves perilla leaf into small pieces. Chop red pickled ginger into fine pieces..
- 【Cook it with a frying pan.】Put one serving of the batter and vegetables in a bowl (1/4 each). Add an egg and mix roughly..
- Heat a frypan on medium-low heat and add a splash of oil for frying. Pour the okonomiyaki mixture into the pan. Use a spatula to form it into a round pancake about 2cm (0.8'') thick..
- Cook it for 3 mins on medium heat. Gently lay about 1/4 of the pork belly slices on top of the pancake. When golden brown on the bottom, flip it and cook the other side..
- Cook it on medium heat for 4-5 mins until golden too or pork belly gets crispy. Please don't push down on the okonomiyaki in the pan to get a fluffy pancake. Flip it again, warm it on low heat and then turn off the heat..
- 【Toppings】Apply okonomiyaki sauce with a spoon or brush, add mayonnaise in zigzagging lines, and sprinkle dried green nori flakes and dried bonito flakes. Please try freshly cooked OKONOMIYAKI!.
- Notes: If the time has passed after putting cabbage into the batter, the water in the cabbage will come out and the batter will become watery. If the batter becomes watery, the cooked okonomiyaki won't get fluffy, so when cooking, it's better to mix the batter and vegetables just before cooking..
This recipe is for the Osaka-style version, which can be topped with a variety of ingredients. Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake containing a variety of ingredients. The name is derived from the word okonomi, meaning "how you like" or "what you like" or. Okonomiyaki – Japanese Savoury Pancakes + Toppings. For the classic Kansai flavour experience, there are two other mouth-watering toppings we recommend: sprinklings of dried seaweed flakes (aonori ) and finely shaved bonito flakes. (Have you ever noticed how bonito flakes curl up and dance.